ice fishing trip for 4, withing 4-5 hours

• John Luebker

I have done some searching but would like to pose the question and get some feedback. Currently we are looking at making a trip for 4 to mille lacs, possible with hunter winfield, but would like to get ideas from people that have done this. Is mille lacs the right lake? is there other resorts I should look at?

I am trying to keep the cabin rental around $500 for the 2 nights. I hear mille lacs is a hit or miss lake (I am sure all are like that) but we obviously wouldn’t be very mobile either so if you guys were going to spend a couple hundred each for a weekend trip where would you spend it?

EDIT – we will be going in mid Feb!

Thanks for your feeback

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Right now L.O.W.

I have to say that if you want steady action LOW would be my choice as well. Tons of options and great accommodations.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

Right now L.O.W.

I have to say that if you want steady action LOW would be my choice as well. Tons of options and great accommodations.

X3 just a stupid bite this year so far….

John Luebker

Thanks for the feedback guys, not sure if LOTW is an option, that puts the drive in about 8 hours from La Crosse. I appreciate the advice, but really looking to keep it at 4 hours or so from La Crosse.

Still listening

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

LOW is not a bad option, but do not look past URL either. I was on a very good bite last week that I do expect to continue through the rest of the season.

URl also has some good lodging options. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

mule170
    Bemidji

Quote:

LOW is not a bad option, but do not look past URL either. I was on a very good bite last week that I do expect to continue through the rest of the season.

URl also has some good lodging options. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

x2 on URL

timmy

I know you don’t like the thought, but the additional 4 hrs drive time one way to LOTW will put one heck of a lot more fish on the ice for you on an average trip than the trip to ML, not to say that some world class days can’t be had there either, they just take more work(generally).

John Luebker

Some of the group are season ice fisherman, but a couple of them may get bored if we go 6-8hours without a bite. That is why the LOW posts is grabbing my attention. it might be worth the extra time in the car if we have more action.

buck-slayer

Stayed in a sleeper shack at Hunter Winfields a couple years ago and was the best sleeper shack i ever stayed in. They had a generator hooked up to shack,dish TV,microwave . We took 4wheelers out during day and put tip ups out at night. Would go back to them in a heart beat next time I go to Millacs

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Your buddy’s that don’t know how to fish or don’t have a flasher would be right at home on LOTW. 2 guys from work were up there from last week and were having 50-70 fish days just using a bobber and minnow. It don’t get any easier then that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.