ICE OUT?

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

If by some miracle it’s out, that water is going to be ice cold so those walleye fillets will taste really good….oh wait jester

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Are you just that negative or stubborn Sticker? Maybe you should change your opener plans and continue your tradition????

waytogo

big_g
    Isle, MN

Taken at 5 o clock today at the scenic outlook in Isle

Attachments:
    1. C360E89C-5BAC-458B-931D-419631729B45.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’ll walk out there tomorrow morning and drill a couple holes…just to check the ice thickness. smirk

It will be curious though over the next week. There’s still a lot of ice out there on the main basin and it doesn’t just crumble and sink overnight.

Well…eventually it will, but before then the big sheet will start pushing back and forth, up and down once all the shoreline ice recedes. And that may take a little while yet depending on wind.

I remember a few years ago getting up there about this time of year on a Friday evening and looking out my window and ice covered as far as the eye could see. Woke up the next morning and it was all gone. Open water as far as my eye could see. I was amazed at how overnight all that ice could melt.

Well Sunday morning when I woke up, all the ice was back out there as far as I could see. The wind changed direction twice in 2 days.

Guess I’m saying is that all that ice still has to ping pong around for awhile before it gives up the ghost.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I was up wed and thurs yes there is alot of ice left it could go out a day or two before or a day or two after it does not matter its opener there will be some small lakes open

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I was up wed and thurs yes there is alot of ice left it could go out a day or two before or a day or two after it does not matter its opener there will be some small lakes open

May not matter to you, or me really either. Not planning to be out there for opener anyway.

Not knocking on you mcrew at all but the side story here is that most all the Mille Lacs business interests will take another blow if the big lake is not open on May 12-13. This is a big revenue weekend…”opener” for the resorts, bait shops, bars/restaurants and support businesses like gas, grocery, and other impulse purchases.

“Opener” would have most all the launch boat operations booked for the entire weekend. That falls off quickly after opening weekend until summer months. Having to cancel all those customers will have a negative ripple effect on the entire economic pyramid.

Just to observe…McQuoid’s launch operations is advertising opener weekend outings, 3 each day…Saturday and Sunday. Betting that most all other launch operations have reservations accepted too.

Problem now is, they still have not or cannot put the big launch boats in yet.

lindyrig79

Buddy just sent me this pic from Fishers

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3585.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m thinking it’s going to take a miracle to be ice-free by opener. This is Vineland Bay at 7 tonight.
    Garrison Bay was honeycomb but you can look out over the lake and it’s still White out there

Attachments:
    1. 20180506_184950.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m thinking it’s going to take a miracle to be ice-free by opener. This is Vineland Bay at 7 tonight.
    Garrison Bay was honeycomb but you can look out over the lake and it’s still White out there

I was just there too today and will still not make a call myself. Anybody’s guess?

It pushed off the NW corner and opened up a bit, but that meant it pushed in solid somewhere else.

In that pic of Vineland Bay, the ice is rotten and could be gone tomorrow. Probably will be. But out 5 or 10 miles, my guess is that there’s still a big chunk.

Garrison Sports had 2 of there boats ready to put in as well as the Blue Goose boat. Even Phil at Myr Mar had his small boat queued to go in.

Didn’t look like Twin Pines was even interested in getting their boats ready. Same with Terry’s, nothing looking ready to go in.

Never got over to the east side but would guess some are ready and some don’t care anymore? ???

lindyrig79

This pic was Sat afternoon up on the NE corner. Don’t think there is much doubt that there will be a lot of fishable water by next weekend, even it’s not completely gone.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3624.jpg

sticker

Are you just that negative or stubborn Sticker? Maybe you should change your opener plans and continue your tradition????

waytogo

Ha ha, neither. I am ok with my plans for opener, this late start to spring has me at the farm anyway.

I was just joking about keeping walleyes. I haven’t kept one from ML in years and it doesn’t bother me one it.

I hope it opens up for the opener, I just doubt it will. I guess I am just a realist.

deanfisher1

Andy we do care on the east side. Here at Fishers we have close to 30 people scheduled to fish on the launch and also rental boats. The boats are ready but I don’t want to put anything in with the NW wind forecast because we are nervous the ice might pile up. We also cant mark the channel until the ice is gone. Im thinking the ice will go on Thursday but we will see what happens. If it goes just before the weekend everyone will be in a mad scramble to get things done.

Good luck to everyone,

Dean

lindyrig79

Andy we do care on the east side. Here at Fishers we have close to 30 people scheduled to fish on the launch and also rental boats. The boats are ready but I don’t want to put anything in with the NW wind forecast because we are nervous the ice might pile up. We also cant mark the channel until the ice is gone. Im thinking the ice will go on Thursday but we will see what happens. If it goes just before the weekend everyone will be in a mad scramble to get things done.

Good luck to everyone,

Dean

Right on Dean. John and I will be up on Leech with a buddy who has a place up there, but we will see you the weekend following. Good luck getting the chores done. Lindy

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Good luck to everyone,

Dean

Dean, I know you care over there…we know well how much Greg and Suzie like to keep everyone updated on FB. smile

My comment wasn’t so much about the east vrs west side, as it was about some operations ready to rock, and some that seemed to have lost some motivation. No doubt there seems to always be another dissapointment if you can’t get the boats in the water by Saturday.

Good luck to you and Fisher’s Resort for 2018.

sticker

80 degrees right now, sunny and rain coming tomorrow. I may have to eat crow doah

Fishwater83

is it going to happen? will there be fishable water if ice isn’t completely out?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

IMHO, yes but I wouldn’t take my boat out especially if it was windy

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think so. I also think you will know a lot more by Thursday morning with the rain and big wind supposed to come tomorrow.

lindyrig79

It’s going out fast.
    Looks like it’s all pushed up to the north end.

http://www.mnlakecams.com/

Most of those web cams have old data. Also, it’s an East wind today.

is it going to happen? will there be fishable water if ice isn’t completely out?

Based off the wind forecasts, there should be plenty of open and fishable water by Saturday.

CaptainMusky

Most of those web cams have old data. Also, it’s an East wind today.

If the date on the image is accurate then there appeared to be 2 that were old. Lybacks and Agate Bay.

lindyrig79

I may have had some browser issues. I changed computers and it seems like more of them are working but I am still having trouble with some.

The ice is moving East to West right now. Looking good for Opener boys!

lindyrig79

Another post on another site, stating “many” of the lake cams out of date. Not sure if it is browser issues or what is going on. Just make sure to check the time stamp.

First hand report from people on the lake is looking good for opener. And with the stiff NE wind predicted for Friday, the whole North and East sides should be wide open at bare minimum. I’d say get your rods ready.

Now… not sure with the late ice if finding shiners will be an issue or not…

sticker

I see 6 of the 10 ML cams are up to date this morning.

Not sure about the “stiff” wind on Friday. Windsurf only shows 11mph out of the east/southeast for the high speed, for part of the day, but that will surely help the eastsiders. yay

lindyrig79

Windsurf has downgraded the wind on Friday a bit….. won’t matter. Ice is almost gone anyway.

Good luck this weekend fellas toast

sticker

Hard to see any ice on the cams this morning. It just might be gone yay Happy I was wrong the whole time. Good luck to all hitting ML this weekend toast

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.