John Egger’s Report!!!

• JimW
    SE MN

I would like to say I enjoyed reading your report John!
    Sounds like I need to get down to the main branch!

Also, I would like to thank you again for donating a couple guided wading trips to a few attendees to the 3rd Annual Trout Day. I can’t believe Alex did anything except have fun and learn a whole bunch!!!!

Your a true Sportsman and a kind hearted gentleman!!!

Thanks!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Thanks Jim, Alex and his father were great! I always have the most fun watching a youngster pull in their first trout. That’s always the toughest fish to get on their line. After that I breath a little easier.
    I wish there was room here for all the photos I took, I have a lot more that are equaly as good.
    Hey, maybe we can get together and wet a line, I recently found one of my first trout maps that I used when I was still in high school. I had it laminated, I think that you would be interested in how things have changed n the last 33 years.
    John Eggers

mark p
    Rochester

John,

Is the old map square when folded and has all of SE MN on one side of the map instead of split at I90 like the newer ones? Does it also show west of rochester out to Kasson? If so, I have one of those too. It is interesting to see the changes. I have tried some of the streams on the old map that are no longer on the new one and they have all deserved to be dropped. Always hoped I would find a sleeper that had come back to life and no one was fishing anymore.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Yeah Mark, that’s the one. When my map was made I90 didn’t exist, so it’s not there. I particularly like the specific inforfation on the back side, especialy the up to date surveys taken in 1946, Have you ever waded Carey or Hamilton creek(LOL) Or how about Masten? It might be fun just to go down them again.
    John

Art

Glad I was able to help. If you ever need a report on the condition of the streams in this area let me know. Good luck. Art

mark p
    Rochester

I tried Masten, Kinney, and Bear creek where the chesterwoods reservoir now sits. Didn’t see a stray trout in any of them much less catch one. Like I said the ones I tried deserved to be declassified.

Hastreiter

April 2003, at the third annual Trout Day at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park In SE MN, I won a guided wade fishing trip in the area with John Eggers. On the way home I purchased a new rod, reel, waders and wading boots for the fishing trip. When I got home I emphasized “free trip with a guide” to my wife when showing the gear I just bought. When she responded that she hoped I’ll get my use out of them I kept my thoughts (yes I promise to get my use out of them!) to myself. Per plans and on a day’s notice my friend and I met John in Owatonna early in the morning in May for a day’s fishing. We followed John in our vehicle our fishing location in SE MN. This was the most fun fishing I have had. The location was remote with no one else fishing and few signs of habitation, and there were fish. We used only Super Bow spinners manufactured by John and I caught 6 trout and 2 bass. The smallest trout was over 9″ and the largest over 15″ with typical 11″ to 15″ range. My friend did almost as good and John did better. The bushwhacking and wading was tiring to my friend and I while John showed no signs of slowing down. The great fishing day was completed with beer, potatoes and fresh cooked trout. If only all fishing days were like this! Thanks to John.

JimW
    SE MN

Improvisor,

Don;t forget the 4th Annual next April. Might win aguided trip up North somewhere. What’s the wife going to do when you come home with a new boat????LOL

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Thanks guys, I just returned from the BWCA, this is a great wellcome home. I found that the smallies and wallies up there like Bow spinners as much as the trout do. If you thought wadeing for trout was work wait until you portage a canoe and pack, 268 rods across country in +80 degree heat.
    But the work was worth it, the scenery great, caught fish, lots of fun.
    John

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey john, where did you end up going? i’ve done a portage that long before. not fun at all . i did get up close and personal with a big bull moose on it though. that was pretty cool .

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Jake, we went in by Orre on the sioux river, then worked our way up as far as Lynx Lake. We saw some deer on the way up but outside of that the only real wild life was an eagle.
    John

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Improvisor, Sounds like you had a great day. Don’t forget that its your wifes wish, maybe even an order, that you get good use out of that new fishing equipement. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.