training brookies

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Visited some of my favorite streams Saturday. Started out catching a nice brown (around 18 inches) and then didn’t catch a thing for the next hour. The streams are clear and very low for this time of year. I worked another stream and finally found some “fish”. It seems they must have stocked a bunch of brook trout in the steam. Just about every cast produced either a bump or an outright strike. Many times two or three fish would follow the spinner into the shore. Most of the fish ranged from around 8 to 10 inches. Alot of fun at first but it did get boring after awhile. Below is a picture of the brown.

superdave
    NE IA

Nice fish Brian! Good to see somebody got out and did some fishing, I wanted to go today, but the 9″ of snow put a hamper on things. Weird weather is all i can say. I talked to a couple of guys that did good over hear in iowa over the weekend since they started stocking them again. I hope to get out thursday or friday, hopefully the sun takes care of this snow by then!
    Dave

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Birdman, I was out with a buddie Sunday, not a huge quantity of fish, but the quality was incredible. My very first cast with a silver Big Bow produced a 15″ brown. My buddie caught a 16″ brown almost at the same time. The whole outing we only caught one trout under 13″ with the largest measuring just over 17″. Believe it or not, I even caught three on an undressed Monster Bow, all over 15″.
    cold and bold but a lot of fun.
    John

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

troutchaser, Are the fish your catching fat & sassy or are they thin like the ones I’ve been catching. Just about every brown I’ve caught this year has been very thin. I wonder if the extended cold winter has anything to do with this. Monster bow huh, could it be that’s the key to catching one of those monster browns? I’m going to have to try one on the bigger water of the Grant River.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.