I pulled the trigger on the Kimber…!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Now that I have a Montana elk permit I’ve got a LOT of ground to cover adding the needed gear. I’m basically starting from the ground up being a first time elk hunter. Seemed logical to start with a new rifle. As I mentioned earlier I’ve always wanted a Kimber rifle. Reeds Sports had exactly what I wanted at a great price. Deal’s done! I have a new Mountain Ascent in 280 Ackley Improved in need of a scope and a trip to the range!

Speaking of scopes, I also picked up a Vortex 3-15×44 Viper that I’m thinking about having water dipped to match the Optifade camo pattern on the rifle. I think I’d like the look of the scope on the rifle better if it was camo’d like the rifle. I’ve done some research and have heard good things about RA HOFFER HYDROGRAPHICS. https://www.rahoffer.com/dipping-patterns/ so I’m going to give them a shot.

This is fun stuff and I look forward to my first trip to the range. I’m sure anyone that’s been down the same path I’m walking now, prepping for that first big hunt, can appreciate how flippin excited I am over all this. woot

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180517_114401.jpg

2. IMG_20180517_114350.jpg

3. IMG_20180517_114328.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nice rifle. Should be perfect for your elk hunt.

Since you mentioned taking it to the range, just a word of caution regarding your muzzle brake. Please be very careful and make sure there are no shooters at adjacent benches or anywhere else where they might get hit with the side-directed muzzle blast. I’ve been blasted before, it’s not fun.

I would also offer that you cannot spend enough time practicing from field positions. Offhand, off sticks, sitting, prone. There will be severe lack of concrete benches where you’ll be hunting.

Best of luck.

Grouse

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Since you mentioned taking it to the range, just a word of caution regarding your muzzle brake. Please be very careful and make sure there are no shooters at adjacent benches or anywhere else where they might get hit with the side-directed muzzle blast. I’ve been blasted before, it’s not fun.

Roger that. I’ve never fired a rifle with a muzzle brake but I’ve heard it can be pretty offensive to anyone out to the sides.

As far as practice is concerned, I’m looking forward to it and will definitely mix things up.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Nice rifle! Where can a guy go around the Twin Cities to practice long distance shooting? I’m on the NW side, for specifics. And for James, where can dudes go where he’s at?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nice rifle! Where can a guy go around the Twin Cities to practice long distance shooting? I’m on the NW side, for specifics. And for James, where can dudes go where he’s at?

I haven’t been able to find anything in the metro area out past a hundred yards that doesn’t have a multiple year waiting list with membership dues that far exceed my willingness to pay. I’m not saying a reasonably priced range out to 300 yards and beyond doesn’t exist near the Twin Cities but if it does I haven’t been able to find it.

The range I plan to use is located in Superior Wisconsin. Since I spend quite a bit of time up at my father-in-law’s place in Cloquet Minnesota that range will actually work out pretty well for me.

I also plan to check out a range in Sandstone Minnesota but have not done so yet. Here’s the info on that range sent to me by my father-in-law.

“The person in charge of the Sandstone Sportsman Club is Barry Birch (320)237-4115. Sounds like membership might be up to $35.00 per year. Again, they should give you the code to the padlock so you can use the range when it’s convenient for you.

Sandstone Sportsman Club & Training Center
    50085 Wildlife Road
    Sandstone, MN 55072”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s the website for the range in Superior, WI. https://www.fgldc.org/rifle-range. This one is open to the public, funded through donations, and has targets out to 300 yards.

If anyone knows of a similar range close(r) to the twin cities please let me know.

frank z

South saint paul gun club 200 yards

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

South saint paul gun club 200 yards

Thanks for the info, Frank. Not sure how I overlooked that one but I did.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Congrats on the Kimber and the permit James!!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

That is a awesome looking gun. I have always liked that round but can’t justify another purchase. That should be a great lifetime purchase that someday could make a grandson proud.

I have gifted a favorite gun to each of my grandsons and was able to enjoy their first hunts. Fantastic memories for them and me.

Good luck on your hunt, prep and the journey make the hunt and if you score a Elk that’s great also.gggggggg

404 ERROR
    MN

anywhere else where they might get hit with the side-directed muzzle blast. I’ve been blasted before, it’s not fun.

X2. I had a Surefire break on a 7″ .223 barrel and it was unbearable, even for the shooter. The same break, welded onto a 14″ barrel was much better for the shooter, but still no fun for the guy running the timer in a 3-gun match…

Congrats on the new gun. In regards to the hydro dip, Metro Hydro Graphics has done some very good work for friends of mine. He’s in Ramsey.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

James,
    Im sure everyone will start tossing a million ideas at you, and some of it is very worth while and some is ….well, you know…

You know I’m up in the mountains multiple times a year, as well as a few other members on here.
    Couple of basic things to make your hunt VERY enjoyable:
    Get a very good range finder
    Have a very comfortable back pack
    Start walking/biking. Bike some more…and more…and more…I don’t think there is a more miserable thing to contend with than fatigue. When you can steadily walk up hill for 3 hours and not have to stop to take breaks every few minutes, your going to be able to cover ground and enjoy it.
    When at the higher elevations, drink a lot of water, then drink more. Its just insane how fast you’ll dehydrate. I can fish from 4am to 9 pm and maybe drink one bottle of water all day at our elevations. In the mountains, we drink 6 to 8 bottles a day and sometimes that isn’t anywhere near enough.
    Have your boots worn in and believe that your part mountain goat

Attachments:
    1. 20171021_091038.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Congrats in advance on your soon to be newest addiction James! waytogo

I picked up a 6.5 Creedmore last Fall to start working on my long range shooting skills in preparation for a future Mountain trip that I can’t wait someday in the future once work and family allows… We will be shooting some longer ranges this summer up in Malmo and you’re always welcome to join in toast smash smash yay

krappiekilla
    Zimmerman, MN

I’ve been pretty happy at Wealthwood Gun and Rod club on the north side of Mille Lacs. The rifle range goes out to 300 yards.

Link to Wealthwood Gun and Rod Club

X2 on Wealthwood. Don’t need to be a member either to go shoot. I have been there a few times and have definitely enjoyed it

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Congratulations on the tag and that fine looking gun.I guess you will be to busy to use that new Skeeter this summer,with all that shooting and biking and all that stuff.I have some time to put some hours on it for you.

hillhiker
    SE MN

James,
    Im sure everyone will start tossing a million ideas at you, and some of it is very worth while and some is ….well, you know…

You know I’m up in the mountains multiple times a year, as well as a few other members on here.
    Couple of basic things to make your hunt VERY enjoyable:
    Get a very good range finder
    Have a very comfortable back pack
    Start walking/biking. Bike some more…and more…and more…I don’t think there is a more miserable thing to contend with than fatigue. When you can steadily walk up hill for 3 hours and not have to stop to take breaks every few minutes, your going to be able to cover ground and enjoy it.
    When at the higher elevations, drink a lot of water, then drink more. Its just insane how fast you’ll dehydrate. I can fish from 4am to 9 pm and maybe drink one bottle of water all day at our elevations. In the mountains, we drink 6 to 8 bottles a day and sometimes that isn’t anywhere near enough.
    Have your boots worn in and believe that your part mountain goat

This is spot on advice. I made the mistake of not being as prepared as I should have been on my first trip to the mountains, and it was pretty miserable at times. I thought I was ready but the mountains are very humbling! Last year on my second trip I worked my butt off hiking hills at least 3-5 days a week with weight in my pack and it made the trip WAY more enjoyable. It’s a great way to break in your boots as well.

Awesome looking rifle by the way!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

You can make a trip down here free shooting at my nephews we can get out to 600 yards. Metal gongs set up at different ranges and a good bench set up. Or if we really try we can make 1000 yards if needed we need to change your name to Sniper James.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Uh oh, bitten by the Elk bug ! smash Nice rifle for sure, someday I will own a Kimber also. peace Like said, cardio, cardio, cardio… you walk slowly most of the time, but when the time comes to stalk and go on a fast chase, that’s where the payoff comes. What part of Montana ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Uh oh, bitten by the Elk bug ! smash Nice rifle for sure, someday I will own a Kimber also. peace Like said, cardio, cardio, cardio… you walk slowly most of the time, but when the time comes to stalk and go on a fast chase, that’s where the payoff comes. What part of Montana ?

We’re out of Anaconda, Montana.

I just got back from a week in the BWCA. 70 LBS of pack plus 45 LBS of canoe over as many as 15 portage’s in a day revealed I’m starting to get in elk hunting shape from a good place. Lots of serious endurance work ahead yet this summer!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Congrats in advance on your soon to be newest addiction James! waytogo

I picked up a 6.5 Creedmore last Fall to start working on my long range shooting skills in preparation for a future Mountain trip that I can’t wait someday in the future once work and family allows… We will be shooting some longer ranges this summer up in Malmo and you’re always welcome to join in toast smash smash yay

Will and I are going to get together to sling some lead!

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

How was the fishing in canoe country?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How was the fishing in canoe country?

Phenomenal. Chartreuse Orange Core Moxie on a 1/4 oz jig. Crazy good walleye fishing in 3′ – 8′ of water.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.