I had a good run

• steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I thought I would have been 1 of very few people to work their entire career without ever receiving even $1.00 from any type of support from anyone including unemployment until yesterday,
    From June of 1975 after high school graduation until May of 2020.
    Almost 45 years was a long time with never more then 2 weeks off at any 1 time for a vacation, dang covid crap and I work in healthcare
    For the last 12 years. At least mine will be a short time off as I was given papers stating my callback date of no later then July 17 so for now it’s a lot of gardening and fishing as often as possible to get a taste of what retirement will be like in 2 years yay
    Good part is I’m am furloughed and my employer is covering costs of my health insurance. So fishing and getting the honey dew list done is what it will be for now. Good luck to everyone toast

Nice Fella

One of the more humorous memes I’ve seen online during this stay at home pandemic, relevant to your post, reads something like: “Thoughts and prayers to all the husbands out there who for years have been telling their wife ‘I’ll get to it when I have time!'”.
    Take care.
    grin

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Fairview is asking us if we’d take voluntary furloughs. After hearing rumors that fast food employees on unemployment are making more than I make weekly it crossed my mind. I don’t think I could do it though….I really don’t mind working that much.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I thought I would have been 1 of very few people to work their entire career without ever receiving even $1.00 from any type of support from anyone including unemployment until yesterday,
    From June of 1975 after high school graduation until May of 2020.
    Almost 45 years was a long time with never more then 2 weeks off at any 1 time for a vacation, dang covid crap and I work in healthcare
    For the last 12 years. At least mine will be a short time off as I was given papers stating my callback date of no later then July 17 so for now it’s a lot of gardening and fishing as often as possible to get a taste of what retirement will be like in 2 years yay
    Good part is I’m am furloughed and my employer is covering costs of my health insurance. So fishing and getting the honey dew list done is what it will be for now. Good luck to everyone toast

Take whatever is available. Your employer pays into the unemployment fund every quarter. It is there to be used. If you don’t someone else will and they might not be as deserving as you.
    Just retired 03/27 and never collected any kind of government assistance in my life but seen many that did because they would only work long enough to go back to collecting unemployment.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m 44 in the IBEW for 25 years and getting a taste of the good life. on furlough now and after the last 3 stressful years of busting my tail running work, I needed this break to get out fish, and de stress!. I was planning on taking short weeks to fish this spring and then the crisis hit. wife still working but daughter at home getting her learn on so its usually 3 days of fishing a week…..i honestly don’t know if I will be the same if and when they call me back.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

One of the more humorous memes I’ve seen online during this stay at home pandemic, relevant to your post, reads something like: “Thoughts and prayers to all the husbands out there who for years have been telling their wife ‘I’ll get to it when I have time!’”.
    Take care.
    grin

Another byproduct of this virus. Parents are finding out little Johnny & Suzie are little disrespectful animals. It turns out it wasn’t always the teacher that is the problem.

While there certainly is a downside to this virus there will be some positives to come of it also.

Ice Cap

Another byproduct of this virus. Parents are finding out little Johnny & Suzie are little disrespectful animals. It turns out it wasn’t always the teacher that is the problem.

While there certainly is a downside to this virus there will be some positives to come of it also.

My daughter and both daughters in law are in the education system. This is cutting both ways apparently. For every set of parents that can’t wait to send the kiddos back to state sponsered daycare many are finding out little Johnny and Suzy haven’t learned much in the public school systems.

Many parents are calling and inquiring about how to go about setting up home school going forward. Same with colleges. Many parents footing the bill for their kids to go to party college are finding out they can save a ton of money by keeping their kids learning on line and they may actually come away with an education and most of their liver still intact! shock

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I’ve been furloughed and/or laid off a couple of times in my life. Financially it can suck, but not once did I manage to get laid off at a time of year of my choosing-I would have definitely preferred THIS time of year. Good on you for making a positive experience out of it! One thing postivie for us during this is unexpected-our family has been dealing with 3 kids doing remote school, me on a “telework until further notice” order, and the FW doing a mix of both. I’ve unexpectedly found myself grateful for the extra time we’ve had around each other. My kiddos, for the most part, have been amazingly wonderful through this. Anyway, the point was is that you get to spend some time doing some things that need done, and some that you may just want to do; and time is the only thing you can never earn more of, so I’m glad to hear you plan to soak it up. Do it without regret, you’ve earned it as much as anyone!

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Well that was short lived, I’m called back to return Monday may 11th. Kind of mixed emotions as did mostly house and yard chores to get done before warmer weather and fishing would be better, oh well I got vacation time for fun times then. I hope everyone comes out of all this well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.