Morels anyone?

• darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Was out Sunday and again this morning but only found ticks so far, anyone else have an update? My guess is they are still just poking their noses up under the leaf litter. I have had good luck when the oak leaves are the size of a squirrel’s ear and as of now the Oaks haven’t broken bud yet. I am off to the store for more tick repellant and then will try it again Saturday.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Hey – Just curious what you’ve been using for tick repellent?

I started buying Permethrin concentrate and mixing my own. I can get a 32 oz bottle for $20 and mix 1 oz with about 24 oz of water…even stronger if I really want a kick.

I spray in on my pants, shirt, shoes and socks and let ’em dry. They are pretty wet when I’m done.

I swear by it. So far this year, I haven’t found one stuck on me or even crawling on me. I’ve found ’em dead under where I hang my clothes but none on me. I spray the dog and her bed too. Found dead ones in her bed but only 1 on her.

The stuff lasts after washing too but I usually freshen it up a bit.

As for shrooms, nothing yet but my places are usually later. Hoping next week. BUT…while I have been out looking and cutting wood. None of them dam little creepers on me either!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hit one of my control spots by twin cities last night and nothing was even popping out. I am waiting until next week to start hunting.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

I use 100% DEET, Permethrin is widely used to treat lice on people at a 5% strength. I have considered picking up some at FF and making up a batch. I have put it on my dogs but one time saw a rash where it was applied so I will test it in a small area first. In case you have a cat in your house this stuff is very toxic to them. Oh no, hear come the Cat jokes!

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I don’t normally share morel info, but in SE MN I saw my first ones last Saturday. I went out yesterday, but it was very disappointing. I found plenty of morels, but very small and frost-bitten. I did pick 14 mushrooms at a tree along the highway, but left the rest.

Memorial weekend will be the first descent time to pick, but rumor has it that the selling market will be poor due to our late harvest and great numbers from OR and MO.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant even imagine selling them. I get just enough each year for a couple meals with my wife and often to share with friends. It’s tradition and almost necessary for a successful kickoff to the summer.

I have dried them on numerous occasion but never that happy with the results so I quit doing that and harvesting any more than I can use fresh.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I saw a tanager today looking for shrooms. 15 feet away and just stayed there as long as I wanted to look at it. Amazing.

Fred Scott

I just got connected with this forum so I am a bit late on the draw to chime in on Morel’s. But I did read a post about only picking enough to eat fresh and leaving the rest. It is wonderful to not be greedy and share with friends and family. I found that I can cut the mushrooms up and cook them as if I was going to eat them with dinner that night, but instead I would freeze them in ziplock bags. When I feel like having some shrooms with dinner, I take a bag out to thaw. They aren’t as good as fresh, but hard to turn them down when someone offers you some to eat. In other words, they are still delicious even after being frozen. I slice them and sauté them with butter, garlic, and some onion. Try it, you wont be disappointed.
    Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
    Fred Scott

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0420.jpg

2. IMG_0425.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.