wind compensation

• kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

I am a rookie bowhunter and pretty new to I.D.O. I was wondering how you compensate for wind. I tried searching for this topic so as to not repeat the obvious, but didn’t seem to find anything. I was hunting tonight and found myself physically holding my ground blind down at times, even though I had ground anchors in.I How much does gusty wind effect the arrow flight? For instance, using 100 gr expandable? I’m sure this question has too many variables for a simple answer. I just have no idea. Unfortunately, I’ve never gone out target shooting on a really windy day. Any advice would be appreciated.

john_steinhauer
    p4

That’s a tough one I would say wind like today I would aim a tad into the wind not much though. As well as no long shots. Allot of it is simply knowing what your equipment can do.

lick

Keep your shots close you will be fine

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Keep your shots close you will be fine

X2

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Curious to know what types of wind have you practiced in, and what you may have found. I think there is a huge variance in archery equipment, and that all factors in. I shot alluminum logs, and 125gr rockys with an older Hoyt @ 71#. Under 35 yards, there wasn’t much affect. Longer, and it becomes very noticeable. My daughters bow, small carbon arrows, 100gr, shoot 50# at about 290+fps and lighter winds are VERY noticeable on her groups. Hard to put a “compensation” to it.

les_welch

When hunting out west I always have my target in the truck, and take a few practice shots in the “open” to see what kind of drift I am getting. My first antelope doe I shot spot and stalk. Couldn’t get any closer than 52 yards and it was WINDY! Probably flat winds of 28-30 mph, and gusting heavier. She was facing to the right, when the wind was steady (not gusting) I held on the front edge of her shoulder (withing an inch of being off her body). Center punched her about 6″ behind the crease. Good enough to get the backs of both lungs, but I should have held off her about 5″ to be perfect. It is a “guessing” game, but we have to try and make the most educated “guesses” we can.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

What all the fellas are saying is right on.
    I DO practice on those crappy windy days. I look at my ‘smart phone’ app for wind direction and wind speed. Shoot the same weight arrow and heads and aim direct to the dot on target. Then go measure the drifts>and practice to “hold away”, as doing that seems so strange to do it, but it has to be, and you will build the confidence for when the time comes, you’ll know what to do and what is the right ‘hold’ for you…..
    Earlier said best advice: keep your shots inside 15 yards and you’ll be fine and the deer won’t.
    Good luck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.