Humminbird Helix Software Update Available

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Fellow Anglers,

Just an FYI in case you haven’t checked lately. HB released a software update on 9/12/18. One of the “fixes” includes “several issues with 2D sonar digital depth tracking”. This seems to be a common complaint on these units so hopefully, this resolves that.

Select your model here:
    https://www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates

I have the 7″ GPS G2 and this one along with others seems to have been updated to 1.830

New Features:

*HW CHIRP Transducer Support [CHIRP Models Only] – Connected Transducer modes now include a High Wide CHIRP Mode, called “HW CHIRP”. This allows MEGA DI and Built-In MEGA DI transducers to be used with 2D models or without DI pinging.
    *Integrated i-Pilot Link Simulation Support [Networking Models Only] – HELIX now includes a built-in i-Pilot Link simulator. The simulator is functional in both Point of Sale and Simulation modes. Features like Spot-Lock, AutoPilot, and Follow-the-Contour are fully functional while using the i-Pilot Link simulator. If standard navigation simulation is needed, then the i-Pilot Link Navigation menu item can be turned off in order to provide a more traditional navigation simulation.
    *Updated Advanced/Normal mode to Custom/Angler mode – HELIX is known for having the easiest to use sonar and charting in the fishing industry. In an effort to continuously improve on that we are constantly putting the most frequently used menus at the angler’s fingertips and moving lesser-used menus out of the way. As part of that effort, we have updated the mode that has historically been called “Normal” to be more streamlined. We are changing the name to “Angler”. The intention of this mode is that all anglers would use this mode day-to-day – whether they are commercial anglers, tournament pros, or weekend warriors. Custom mode, formerly Advanced mode, is where features will reside that are typically used once during setup, or once less frequently based on seasonal changes.
    *Cursor performance improvements on chart views [GPS Capable Models Only] – The way that the cursor snaps to waypoints on chart views and pans across the screen has been improved. As a result of this, menu performance has also been improved.
    *AIS Target Presentation [GPS Capable Models Only] – AIS targets have been updated to show the call-sign of the vessel, when available, instead of the MMSI number.

General Fixes:

SONAR:

*Fixed several issues with 2D Sonar digital depth tracking.
    *Fixed an issue where specific rows and columns of sonar data were appearing in the wrong place when Lower Range or SI Range was changed.
    *Fixed several cases where entering into Standby Mode was not causing local sonar to turn off.
    *Fixed an issue where subscribing to SI and composite DI beams was causing “lost sonar source” warning messages to incorrectly appear.

munchy
    NULL

Sweet! Thanks for the uodate!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I’m still trying to decipher the first “new feature” listed. Kinda sounds like it will add DI to an existing regular GPS G2 if you get a DI transducer. No?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Heads up – LOTS of folks reporting problems with the update, you should follow Bassboat Central’s Humminbird section for details…

A good rule of thumb is to wait a month or so after Humminbird releases an update to see what the new issues are…

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Good suggestions, JoeMX. However, it’s too late for me as I decided to gamble seeing it’s already been out a month. I won’t know if it causes issues until the lakes freeze over now.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

new update has been working great for me so far. i’m heading back up to LotW on the 19th and then we’ll really see how the shallow water sonar performance improvement is with the hard rock bottoms. when running miles of shoreline trolling every day, being able to Autochart map that stuff requires a good sonar return!

and…it added a bunch of cool new waypoint icons! ;-)

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I actually have mine 7 SI G2 running perfectly. Now I’m not sure I want to do the update and risk having to spend a month trying to re-learn everything.

PS….Easiest to use sonar my ass. I love the features of my Helix after finally figuring it out, but Garmin is SO much more user friendly. Not the best picture, but much easier to figure out.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

new update has been working great for me so far. i’m heading back up to LotW on the 19th and then we’ll really see how the shallow water sonar performance improvement is with the hard rock bottoms. when running miles of shoreline trolling every day, being able to Autochart map that stuff requires a good sonar return!

and…it added a bunch of cool new waypoint icons! ;-)

Come back and let us know after your trip if the update seemed to help at all. Tight lines!

Joel Hanson

This is a welcomed update as I’ve been plagued by a number of the issues. Primarily 2D depth tracking and no GPS fix pop up.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Come back and let us know after your trip if the update seemed to help at all. Tight lines!

Worked great. With hard rock bottoms in water as shallow as 2′ at times it read correctly.

And now I’ve got 8 days worth of really nice AutoChart shoreline maps!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.