How's Your Shelter in the Rain?

• Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I was on the lake today in the rain using my Eskimo Fat Fish 949i to protect me from the rain, and after an hour or so of comfort I started getting dripped on. Looked up to see that the seams were leaking.
    Hadn’t really considered that these were not designed for rain protection. I would assume that the ones made for hunting are.
    Unrelated to this I have been considering a change to my shelter (probably moving to a flip over) so I’m thinking I should at least consider something that is rain proof.
    Anyone have experience with a shelter that works well in all kinds of weather situations?
    Thanks

JoeMX1825
    MN

Same thing happend in my Otter ProXT900

dbright
    Cambridge

You can treat the seams with a tent seam sealer. I know my frabil said to do it every few years. I don’t remember the brand they recommended.

castle-rock-clown

Before you throw out the baby with the bathwater, go to a camping store and buy a product called seam seal. With tent clean and dry apply sealer to all seams and see if that works.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

OK, sounds like sealing the seams is the ticket.
    I’ll have to wait until it dries out to do that. Might be spring before that happens. )
    And chances are once I do seal the seams it will never rain again while I’m using it. ;)
    Thanks arybody.

castle-rock-clown

To make it bombproof I would seal the seams first so as to get the best adhesion, then spray exterior with above product. You’ll never want to leave the lake.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Clown is dead on with the seam sealer! I also spray the outside of my shacks with tectron silicone waterproofing. Never have a drop of rain come in and I’ve sat trough many complete down pours!

hamms
    Mn

This is a great idea to keep up with.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You should try Flex Seal. If it can make a screen-bottomed boat float, it should keep you dry! rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Flex-Seal.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

You should try Flex Seal. If it can make a screen-bottomed boat float, it should keep you dry! rotflol

I love how they shoot the boat with a cannon, for the “wow” factor! jester

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t ice fish in the rain…. just seems wrong devil

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I don’t ice fish in the rain…. just seems wrong devil

X2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.