how’s the ice?

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Anyone driving out to community spots – North Hudson/Bayport? Any ice thickness reports?

KP
    Hudson, WI

I went out of Ferry’s Landing on Wednesday and there was 15 inches of ice. Went north of the landing by about a few hundred yards but didnt catch anything. Marked a few but couldnt get any to bite.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

any trucks out there?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Trucks were everywhere and I drove my F150 out as well. I stayed kinda close to shore so didnt venture out to the middle of the river.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Trucks were everywhere and I drove my F150 out as well. I stayed kinda close to shore so didnt venture out to the middle of the river.

Thanks! Might have to grab some minnows and give it a try this weekend.

N2i0c0k8

Looking to get out on the ice in Bayport. I spend all summer on my boat out there but not entirely sure how to get on the ice with the truck. Are people going out of beach house marina or is there a public access I don’t know about? I’ve heard Hubs Point Dr. is another option to get on the ice. Apricate any info. Thanks!

Lost
    Shafer, MN

Looking to get out on the ice in Bayport. I spend all summer on my boat out there but not entirely sure how to get on the ice with the truck. Are people going out of beach house marina or is there a public access I don’t know about? I’ve heard Hubs Point Dr. is another option to get on the ice. Apricate any info. Thanks!

Hubs Point Drive in Bayport is the winter road access point. There is no other access on the MN side for cars/trucks in the winter. If you are taking ATV’s or sleds you can park in the lots at lakeside and drive out from there. Ferry landing is the winter road access on the WI side.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A long time Croix angler broke through the other day. This guy has 20 years of experience. He’s safe but his jeep is not.

I don’t know where he went in…North of Bayport I believe, but as they say, no ice is safe and more so on moving water even if it’s slow moving water.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

A long time Croix angler broke through the other day. This guy has 20 years of experience. He’s safe but his jeep is not.

I don’t know where he went in…North of Bayport I believe, but as they say, no ice is safe and more so on moving water even if it’s slow moving water.

Yikes! I haven’t headed over there yet. Went over to Bass Lake and there was maybe a foot of ice. A good Samaritan saw me drive near one spot, he drove his UTV up to me, and pointed out a few spots with just an inch or two of ice.

404 ERROR
    MN

BK, he went down a few hundred yards north of the swing bridge on the MN side. He was disoriented from blowing winds and snow and believed he was driving north, not south. Just goes to show that even the most experienced anglers make mistakes. You are never 100% safe. The Jeep was recovered on Tuesday, I believe.

N2i0c0k8

Good deal. If I can just get out on the ice with the truck, I can hoof it to the fishing hole. Thanks for the response!

Ripjiggen

BK, he went down a few hundred yards north of the swing bridge on the MN side. He was disoriented from blowing winds and snow and believed he was driving north, not south. Just goes to show that even the most experienced anglers make mistakes. You are never 100% safe. The Jeep was recovered on Tuesday, I believe.

Don’t understand how that is possible these days. Literally 3 GPS in the truck at this point.

matt

Glad he is allrite.That is one area I would surely avoid.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

Don’t understand how that is possible these days. Literally 3 GPS in the truck at this point.

My 97 doesn’t have that feature. Must have started that in 98

Ripjiggen

Phone, Graph, and most trucks in the last 20 years have a heading directional sensor.

If you have no form of GPS or compass in your vehicle. Well then I don’t know what to tell ya.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.