How to get rid of old guns

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ive got a couple of closet guns that dont even get a place in the safe. Old. I will never use them or spend any money or effort to fix anything broken. How do I get rid of them? NOT giving them to the govt. While typing this I thought of handing them over to a gunsmith by my cabin? I guess I could hang one of them in the cabin as decor?
    One of them is an old Springfield 84-C bolt action .22 with one factory magazine. The bolt extractors are gone and its finish is bad. The other is an old Mauser type action (?) bolt . 270 that I know works and has an old weaver t-reticle scope. Looks like it had a peep at one time. Weird old gun with what looks like a homemade stock.
    Just looking for ideas on how get them gone. Thanks.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2 on the Cabin decor idea waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not giving them to the government? Are you including the cops? Maybe drop them on the sidewalk in North Mpls.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not giving them to the government? Are you including the cops? Maybe drop them on the sidewalk in North Mpls.

Correct. They are old family keep sakes. One was my Dad’s and one was from my Great Uncle. I would drown them before giving them to the cops.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d go with decor.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Someone will get ahold of it, fix it, then go on to shoot up a bunch of people with it.

Send em to me. If I can’t fix it I’ll cut them up and throw them away

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Actually when I retire I’m going to make coffee tables, where I recess old guns and rifles then pour epoxy over them.
    Recess the bullets that they use also.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Call up a gunsmithing school. maybe they need some guns for training purposes.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Actually when I retire I’m going to make coffee tables, where I recess old guns and rifles then pour epoxy over them.
    Recess the bullets that they use also.

That would look cool. I was thinking one could make it into a door pull handle or even a pull handle for the fridge door at a cabin.

Red Eye

What about donating them to a hunter safety program?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If they have any value, might be worth selling them at an auction.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If they have any value, might be worth selling them at an auction.

No value to speak of. I’m sure not enough to go through the trouble of selling. I’m going to show the gunsmith and see if he thinks the Springfield is repairable. Thanks for all the ideas.

Delilah Rae

I’ve had some friends have really good luck with local gunsmiths either knowing how to easily fix things or knowing folks who’ll put old family pieces to good use. I think checking in with him is a great idea!

Deuces

Hennepin Co. Authorities Recover AR-15 Rifle With 100-Round Drum Magazine In N. Mpls.

We don’t fu@k around with old guns round here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.