How long will the snow stay?

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Remember the Minnesota battle cry……..”We need the moisture.”

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s all rain down here in Forest Lake. I guess the good news is hopefully this gets us out of drought. But I am ready for the snow to be gone. My driveway is like a skating rink and it’s getting old.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Remember the Minnesota battle cry……..”We need the moisture.”

I keep telling myself that every time a flake of snow falls. Its pretty hard to remember that the period from Sept – Oct last fall were two of the driest months on record in many areas of the state (and the country). Seems like ages ago.

Just changed over to snow here.

Next week looks more like “spring.” I see temps in the 40’s and a chance of rain (not snow, rain).

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The snow shrunk quite a bit here the last two days. We need to pump those numbers back up! jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Raining pretty good in Farmtown. Knocking the piles down pretty good though.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Buddies in ND are finding no shortage of winter kill lakes and as many dead deer. Hoping it’s not more of that in MN.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Here is what it looks like out my window right now. My truck was clear about a Hour ago.

Attachments:
    1. thumbnail_IMG_1447-Snow.jpg

stout93
    Becker MN

I think we’ve got a few inches by now, probably will be 4″ when it ends….but I refuse to snowblow this..I’ll let next weeks’ higher temps take care of it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Updated drought monitor. Note the significant lack of drought in Central California, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. Only a small portion of drought remains in western Minnesota now too. Looks like Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and part of Texas could still use some moisture. Kansas is by far the worst at this point.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Still raining pretty good in EP.

CaptainMusky

Still snowing HARD here north of Sartell. Wind is howling and that is the worst part. Im guessing 5 inches but its so wet that it compacts like I said earlier. What a mess. Well end up over 7 or 8 inches I bet at this rate.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Still rain in Minnetonka.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well end up over 7 or 8 inches I bet at this rate

At the rate its falling here in Saint Cloud my guess is you may be correct on those totals. on the radar it looks like its going to slow down some around 4:30 – 5:00 and end around 6:00 or so. I don’t even want to think how heavy this snow is.

CaptainMusky

Oh, its heavy AF! Kids get home and they are cleaning the decks and sidewalk off and then I will blow tomorrow once everyone is gone so the driveway is empty.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Oh, its heavy AF! Kids get home and they are cleaning the decks and sidewalk off and then I will blow tomorrow once everyone is gone so the driveway is empty.

yea no sheet…….. UFFDA. just cleaned the deck and front sidewalk…..driveway is gonna wait!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Oh yea. I’m heading home shortly to get start cleaning it up. Glad I remembered the Gas can this morning. Ran out of gas the last time I used the snowblower. Kind of hoped I would not need it again this season. That was wishful thinking. No way am I going to try and shovel this heavy crap. That’s a heart attack waiting to happen jester

CaptainMusky

Good call FT! Dont shovel this stuff for sure!

CaptainMusky

I’m guesstimating at 7 inches here. Going to be bad by morning with the cold that is coming. Roads much better now than they were at lunch time but they’ll be glare ice in morning.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just cleaned up what the city left in my driveway. had i waited till morning the chisel and ice auger ma have been needed!!! whistling

the rest of the driveway…….well mother natures doing that mid week!!

Iowaboy1

Light to moderate rain down here all day until a few hours ago, started with huge heavy flakes of snow and then the temps dropped, now this and they are saying an inch per hour the next few hours,, and, in the teens for temps tomorrow morning.
    The ridge line in the pic is only a quarter of a mile away, cant see much further than that.
    I have cabin fever so bad I wish I had a mouthful of metal fillings so that I could chew on some tinfoil.

Attachments:
    1. KIMG1589-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Wow. This was some of the hardest driveway cleanup this winter. My next door neighbor had drifts that we at least twice as high as my snowblower. Cleaned 4 driveways just in time for the plow to show up and fill in the ends I just got clean. That packed poop is hell on the snowblower not to mention the old out of shape body. I’m going to need more than a few cocktails to ease the pain tonight. So far 2 beers for a start. Time to move onto better/ more high octane pain meds. Hope the Crown is in decent supply.

CaptainMusky

Take care fishthumper doing the lord’s work

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I tell you, For a forecasted amount of 2-4″ of snow, this one sure was a mess. I kind of thought with the moisture and weight of the snow that the drifting from the wind would not be a factor, man was I wrong. This was some of the biggest drifting that I’ve seen this winter. I sure hope we don’t have much more of this crap this season. The snowblower and my body is crying for a rest. Oh well, I guess that the body pain just lets me know I’m still alive. It also is telling me I should stop talking about it and do something to get into better shape.

CaptainMusky

Drifting was ridiculous and I agree it was the worst all year, not sure why we have had storms earlier with fluffy snow and higher winds that didnt drift this bad. As expected schools two hours late this morning.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Looking at the forecast here in the St. Cloud area. There are only a few 40’s and those are real low 40’s from now till April 3rd. Most of the nighttime lows are in the lower 20’s. as of now none of the nighttime lows are above 30. unless this forecast changes, I think we will have snow for 2-3 more weeks for sure.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m seeing the same thing. Next week should get a decent melt going. I am starting to see some small spots of grass on the south and west side of my property. But I still have a boatload of snow on the north side. Gonna take awhile yet but sun does feel good today.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Astronomical spring begins today, March 20 at 4:24pm.

Rain/snow mix on tap tomorrow afternoon. 4-6 inches of accumulation in northern MN, primarily rain or minor snow accumulation in the south.

Next Saturday is projected to possibly reach 50 degrees in the Twin Cities. yay

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Next Saturday is projected to possibly reach 50 degrees in the Twin Cities.

That’s a big difference from current forecast in Detroit Lakes. Right now they have it at 34 for a High and 18 for a low next Sat. Here in Saint Cloud its 39/23 for next Sat. I’m always amazed on how different the forecast be between various parts Minnesota.

ThunderLund78

Even though it’s slightly below normal temps you can feel the power of the sun as it gets higher in the sky, we’re loosing a lot of the snowpack fast here in the southern metro. Still a LONG way to go, though.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Snow should be gone everywhere but the northern most shaded areas here along the shores of Pool 4 by the end of the week. Any snow out in the open where dark dirt/gravel is mostly gone. That sun is working. Temperatures this week are showing upper 40s with temps at night reaching 28-30 degrees.

Ditches are NOT full either as the frost is gone most places locally. I’m cautiously optimistic that flood talk is overblown and soils that are dry at depth are getting moisture. It’s still going to come down to missing the giant rain events for the next 2-3 weeks.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.