Hip supplements for dogs.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

After putting on 8 or 10 miles of woods and swamps, my 7 yr old German shepherd is soar. When getting off the couch this evening she whines and is limping a bit. The breed itself in notorious for hip dysplasia. Is there any supplements any of you guys give the dogs for there joints and hips that have or seem to work. She isn’t a pup any more and I figured I should start looking. This is the first time I’ve noticed her showing signs of being soar

Attachments:
    1. 20200520_210457-scaled.jpg

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Fish call? Honestly, I have dysplasia and need other hip replaced. It’s the only thing that helps

robby
    Quad Cities

Our Vet recommended Glucosamine and Aspirin. I used to buy doggie ASA from Doctor Fosters and Smith, catalog.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Glucosamine

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do you have a brand you like ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fish call? Honestly, I have dysplasia and need other hip replaced. It’s the only thing that helps

Fish call ?

Coletrain27

My girlfriend works at a vet clinic and this is what we use. She said it’s gluecosamine

Attachments:
    1. 543A2268-DE03-43D3-9DCD-68BFD3238DFF.png

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Glucosamine/Chondroitin.
    Cosequin maximum strength or the one from NuVet Labs.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Glucosamine/Chondroitin.
    Cosequin maximum strength or the one from NuVet Labs.

We use cosequin and our vet recommends that. It builds up in the dogs system over time so usually once they start on the supplements they stay on them.

You can also get her on an anti inflammatory like carprofen. Basically advil for your dog that the vet will charge you an arm and a leg for. Works though.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve been using Life’s Abundance for my boys since we adopted them. It’s not cheap, but the good stuff rarely is. 💸

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220327-213956_Chrome.jpg

Brad Dimond

My girlfriend works at a vet clinic and this is what we use. She said it’s gluecosamine

Same brand my vet recently recommended for my 11 year old Springer. She recommended it based on extensive laboratory and field testing. He’s been on it for a couple of weeks and it seems to make a difference for him.

Musky Ed

Dasuquin and Galliprant.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Dasuquin for my 10 year old Yellow Lab.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Here are some anti-inflammatories to give after a strenuous day.
    The most commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) for dogs are carprofen (Novox or Rimadyl), deracoxib (Deramaxx), meloxicam (Metacam ), deracoxib (Deramaxx), firocoxib (Previcox).

The glucosamine/chondroitin is given daily.

stevenoak

Yes, Glucosamine. Aspirin as needed, save the prescriptions for when the other options no longer work. Also, if Sophie rides the couch all week. You may let her sit out part of a 10-mile day. Besides joints. They can get some pretty soft pads on their feet sitting on carpet all week.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’d have your vet approve administering aspirin to any of your dogs.

stevenoak

I’d have your vet approve administering aspirin to any of your dogs.

Our vet says aspirin as needed. Never to any other over the counter pain relievers. Like Tylenol. Always best to keep your vet in the loop.

tim hurley

So does Glucosomine help people too?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes, Glucosamine. Aspirin as needed, save the prescriptions for when the other options no longer work. Also, if Sophie rides the couch all week. You may let her sit out part of a 10-mile day. Besides joints. They can get some pretty soft pads on their feet sitting on carpet all week.

She will be sitting out the rest the week. She was soar this morning for potty time. She is usually very active in yhe mornings. Today not so much. Ran right in and straight to the couch, didn’t even want breakfast. I’m going to give her a few days to rest before even a neighborhood walk

stevenoak

This is my 35+ year old knee repair. The center is part, is part of my hip bone graphed in. After 6 months recovery, I got back to work, on a concrete floor in a shop, 10 to 16 hours a day till I retired. It has given me little trouble. Although I stopped some of my destructive hobbies. I’ve taken Glucosamine every day since I got out of the hospital, and believe it has been a big part of my success.

Attachments:
    1. phone-036-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Steve. What brand do you eat, and what brand for the pups

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just bought the cosequin after a quick call to the vet. Hope it kicks in soon. I should have done it sooner. She has never showed any signs of aging until this weekend. I over worked her and it breaks my heart to see her in pain.

A little side question. Any one have any steps of some sort for the dogs to get in and out of the truck. That’s another hard time is she doesn’t like to make that leap to the back seat any more

mmitties
    SE MN

My eleven year old lab has been on Cosequin for several years and I feel it helps a lot to reduce her joint pain. But Coseequin is not a quick fix. For the kind of pain your dog is experiencing my vet recommended Carprofen 100 mg for pain as needed. On the occasion my lab gets a little stiff from over exercise I’ll give her one tablet before bed and by the morning the pain and stiffness is usually gone.

stevenoak

Steve. What brand do you eat, and what brand for the pups

I use Standard Process Glucosamine Synergy. I’m 65 use a few supplements. I go to a Chiro that is a Dr. of Chinese Medicine, and don’t use any prescription drugs. Chiros or healthfood stores can to speak to the quality from different manufacturers. Our current Lab just turned 6 last month. Haven’t needed for the dog for a while. They were from Chewy, but don’t remember manufacturer. Vet can recommend a good brand. Our vet told us to buy on line, they are cheaper.

stevenoak

Wife just got home. It was Cosequin for the dogs. She remembers everything. Not always a good thing!!

Lost
    Shafer, MN

My wife is a DVM, we keep carprofen on hand for the dogs and give them a daily joint supplement. You should chat with your vet, but your shepherd might just be sore after a long day in the woods. After a weekend of sprinting, our 6YO shepherd can be a little stiff and gets the appropriate dose of carprofen.

If you are concerned about hips, bring them in to the vet and have them check the hips. If they truly are “bad”, then they can offer better solutions than here.

Go with whatever your vet recommends for a joint supplement. Ours comes in a small tub and is basically a treat before bed.

This is the ramp that we use for the 14YO Golden Retriever, which also works for the shepherd after a long weekend:
    PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp – 72 Inch, Portable, Lightweight, Aluminum Dog and Cat Ramp – Carrying Case Available, Grey, 1 Count (Pack of 1)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUJEUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m going to look in to the ramp thanks for posting.
    I’m not used to her not being on top of me at all times. The cats have been cuddled up next to her all day

Attachments:
    1. 20220328_165731-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

She has never showed any signs of aging until this weekend. I over worked her and it breaks my heart to see her in pain.

That’s unfortunate. My 10 year old British yellow lab finally started to show signs of aging last hunting season too. She is often sore and stiff after the first pheasant hunt of the season, but it was even more noticeable last November. She rested and slept for days afterwards and even had a slight limp. A week later she was fully recovered and so we went hunting again without my any effects afterwards. I need to better prepare her physically for the first hunt of the season next year and just remember that she needs more recovery time.

I think maybe she just got a little too much workout when you took her on that long nature walk. It’s sad when our 4 legged friends start showing their age. cry

Netguy
    Minnetonka

But Coseequin is not a quick fix. For the kind of pain your dog is experiencing my vet recommended Carprofen 100 mg for pain as needed.

X2

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.