HF 944 Lead Jigs

• Ripjiggen

You should get him in the boat FBRM…

B-man

Fuc#ing Peter Fischer won’t give up on it.

He’s made it his life goal to get this thing passed.

Year after year….

There’s been posts here before about it, and I’ve posted his email address before (and emailed him several times requesting cites and information)

I’ll never wish ill harm on anyone, but if he tipped over tomorrow I’ll tip an extra beer down my throat mrgreen

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/lead-tackle-ban-hearing-tuesday-2-23/page/2/

Timmy

From what I read, the MN loon population is pretty healthy and stable. If lead jigs are threatening them, wouldn’t other fish eating birds be suffering effects as well? Why are cormorant and pelicans populations so high as well? They all are fish eaters, no? This pisses me off.

IMO, Peter Fischer has a very punchable face.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

From what I read, the MN loon population is pretty healthy and stable. If lead jigs are threatening them, wouldn’t other fish eating birds be suffering effects as well? Why are cormorant and pelicans populations so high as well? They all are fish eaters, no? This pisses me off.

IMO, Peter Fischer has a very punchable face.

The only thing that you see is the number of loons estimated to have died because of it. It’s a poor data point since it does not represent any significance to the overall population. No one seems to be willing to talk about the affect on the population or even research it. By all accounts, the last time I tried searching for this data the loon populations are perfectly stable if not growing.

Will this prevent the death of a few loons? Sure, but there no evidence it will have any measurable affect.

To answer your question, there are some estimates out there that show how many bald eagles are dying because of this as well. Again, ignoring the impact on the population.

ThunderLund78

A terrible solution to a manufactured crisis… I’m not saying it’s not an issue, but it’s NOT a crisis. Whatever poisoning is happening is from over 100 years of using lead tackle in our lakes and rivers. A lot of loons will have to ingest a lot of lead that’s already there before this would ever have an impact.

Plus, no one has emotional connections to Pelicans or Cormorants so leave that data alone. Loons and Eagles tug the heart strings which are connected to the voting hand at the other end.

Given the control of both houses and Gov. unless there’s a few brave, rational souls that will actually listen to their constituents rather than the base. This might actually get done.

basseyes

Baffling part is how much time and energy this would take to transition for manufacturing and stores. And the accumulated cost. There’s zero plan in place to transition.

Who makes a wide variety of the most common jig heads used for summertime panfish and walleyes out of tungsten? And stuff that’ll be somewhat affordable to the average angler? I’ve looked and looked and can’t find anything.

As a closet birder am fully aware this will happen eventually. And just got done powder coating 1,100 lead head jigs. The complete cost would be fronted by the angler and fishing industry. Would love a buy back program tit for tat for what I’ve got, it’d bankrupt the dnr or state if they tried to do something like that with the amount of lead a lot if guys do themselves. It’s something that if passed should be done over a long, long period of time to ease the transition, but that probably won’t be the case. Will get shoved down anglers throats and Mnfish will support it. Al Lindner and Ron Schara will probably do adds supporting it. Linder’s production companies will profit off the adds and tell us how great it is and make money selling adds for all the new tackle. To bad we in mn don’t have a good celebrity or 2 who is willing to put their own skin in the game to get anything rationally done with issues like this.

Come on kids get into fishing. Oh yeah, we hate bait dealers so here’s 12 crappie minnows for $20, you’ll need a $10 jig to fish panfish so grab a handful of those but we are saving the loons 100 yrs to late and make sure to get every single weed seed off the soles of your shoes but ships ballast water is still bringing in invasive species.

F, people are so stupid.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Here’s the public servant who is the author.

As a maplewood resident, I promise to slap this twerp if I ever see him

milemark_714

I will stop using lead tackle when they quit using chlorides on the roads.

blackbay
    mn

I find it interesting that this bill does not contain a requirement on disposal of lead tackle. I guess tossing it in the garbage is ok with Rep Fischer. There’s no penalty either.

catnip
    south metro

Looks like we will have to use an 8oz no roll or 4oz bank sinkers or larger to meet the over 1oz AND over 2.5″

Attachments:
    1. 16749478068905537328243717534166-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

To answer your question, there are some estimates out there that show how many bald eagles are dying because of this as well.

Eagles do not dive to the bottom of a lake to ingest pebbles for their grit. Loons do, and this is when they can pick up lead sinkers, jigs, etc. Eagles sometimes get lead poisoning after picking at a deer carcass that has lead bullet fragments. The argument against a full lead ammo ban is that the bald eagle population has literally never been higher. Not sure that’s the case with loons. Is there anything in this about a lead ammo ban? I didn’t see that part, maybe I missed it.

Would certainly hope there’s some kind of buyback program or trade in program if it passes. Can’t say that I think its a pressing issue, but as stated in the carbon thread, this sort of thing is a direct result of losing an election in November.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It’s more like those running or elected listening to fruit cakes for there vote. Not so much winning or losing an election but that’s just me!

If there that friggin worried about loons put a bounty on racoons, skunks and whatever kills there young in the nest and pillage the eggs!

Reef W

Whatever poisoning is happening is from over 100 years of using lead tackle in our lakes and rivers. A lot of loons will have to ingest a lot of lead that’s already there before this would ever have an impact.

I don’t support doing the right thing because it inconveniences me but will only benefit people in the future who aren’t me.

matt

When they stop pouring salt over the guardrails I will gladly listen to Mr Fischer and his woke green save a few loons b.s. Until then nothing more than a typical democrat hypocrit.

critter 1

Could you imagine the cluster—- this would cause on the Wisconsin Minnesota boundry waters. Lead ok on the Wisconsin side of the river but not Minnesota side. What a mess that would be.

TH

What happens to the hook if a loon eats a jig? Seems like that may be more of a problem than the lead.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What happens to the hook if a loon eats a jig? Seems like that may be more of a problem than the lead.

HF 945 is in the works to address this issue.

Hooks under 7” in length will be banned to stop loons from consuming them.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Like others have pointed out already, where is the study that shows loon populations are dropping in MN and that lead tackle is a leading cause? To be clear, I’m not against using non-lead tackle, but this is a ridiculous way to go about it. Why not phase it in over a longer period? Starting with the smallest weights and working up over a longer period of time.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TH wrote:</div>

HF 945 is in the works to address this issue.

Hooks under 7” in length will be banned to stop loons from consuming them.

How about biodegradable hooks?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

What happens when loons migrate for winter and pick up lead jigs in a different state? Not saying one state cant help the cause but they are a migratory bird.

duh queen

The X-ray used to justify this abomination of a bill is an acknowledged fraud. Notice that the leader’s snap is not through the eye of the hook. Also consider that a loon is a bird, and bird doesn’t have teeth. The break down their meals in a crop, located in the neck/throat region, not the guy. And we’re supposed to believe that all this tackle made it through the crop untouched?
    It’s time we started raising more than a little he’ll in St Paul.

Reef W

Also consider that a loon is a bird, and bird doesn’t have teeth. The break down their meals in a crop, located in the neck/throat region, not the guy.

Not all birds have crops. For example owls, penguins, and loons. The gravel they eat is stored in gizzard where food is broken down.

Jimmy Jones

What happens when loons migrate for winter and pick up lead jigs in a different state? Not saying one state cant help the cause but they are a migratory bird.

This. And to further the argument, how long does it take for ingested lead to become toxic to a loon? It’s entirely possible that a loon dining on a jig in Mexico during their winter hiatus in warmth may not exhibit signs of or die from lead poisoning until it has returned north.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Where is this bill at?

blackbay
    mn

So far there is no senate version but this bill could still get rolled into the omnibus DNR bill and get through a conference committee.

matt

6.99$ for 2 3/8oz tungsten roundball jigheads from Northland Tackle.May as well drive down to the river toss a couple 20$ bills in and then head home,be cheaper then fishing with them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

6.99$ for 2 3/8oz tungsten roundball jigheads from Northland Tackle.May as well drive down to the river toss a couple 20$ bills in and then head home,be cheaper then fishing with them.

Thankfully as your jig prices increase, your fuel costs will diminish with bill HF946 banning all gasoline powered outboards by 2026. This bill is not to be confused with HF945b. which bans the use of hooks under 7″ in length to help save loons.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.