HF 944 Lead Jigs

• fishdale
    Participant

Since I fish 3 or 4 days a week during the summer and have note been checked in probably 5 years I am not too worried. IF they pass it and I get a ticked then I will pay it. I think I got a life time supply of jigs

disco bobber
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>
    6.99$ for 2 3/8oz tungsten roundball jigheads from Northland Tackle.May as well drive down to the river toss a couple 20$ bills in and then head home,be cheaper then fishing with them.

Thankfully as your jig prices increase, your fuel costs will diminish with bill HF946 banning all gasoline powered outboards by 2026. This bill is not to be confused with HF945b. which bans the use of hooks under 7″ in length to help save loons.

I just looked 945 and 946 up. They do not do those things and are not even related to them.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I just looked 945 and 946 up. They do not do those things and are not even related to them.

Maybe Bucky was kidding

Charles
    Participant

Well you can say thank to the Minnesota loon center to try and push this through. You should see the craziness of the docks they have built by the new loon center in the Crosslake.

But were not going to talk about the Wake and Tri-toons cruising full speed by loons nest or destroying the shoreline.

tswoboda
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>disco bobber wrote:</div>

Maybe Bucky was kidding

No jokes allowed here

boone
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

6.99$ for 2 3/8oz tungsten roundball jigheads from Northland Tackle.May as well drive down to the river toss a couple 20$ bills in and then head home,be cheaper then fishing with them.

I won’t comment on the bill but will say that there are cheaper, non-lead alternatives other than tungsten. If the use of lead in jigs and weights is banned, I suspect it’ll be replaced with Bismuth-Tin alloy. Bismuth-Tin alloy is only about 75% as dense as lead but I don’t think that’ll matter much in open water fishing. There’s currently a listing on Ebay for 50, 1/4 oz. unpainted, bismuth-tin alloy jigs for $28.49 ($0.57 each). A 58% Bismuth – 42% Tin alloy melts at 281 F vs. 621 F for lead. I’ve never tried to pour Bismuth-Tin alloy jigs but I suspect it will be possible. From what I read, Bismuth-Tin expands slightly as it cools so I don’t know how that would affect typical Do-It jig molds.
    So it’s true that non-lead alternative fishing tackle will be more expensive than lead, it won’t be at tungsten prices.

matt
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>

I won’t comment on the bill but will say that there are cheaper, non-lead alternatives other than tungsten. If the use of lead in jigs and weights is banned, I suspect it’ll be replaced with Bismuth-Tin alloy. Bismuth-Tin alloy is only about 75% as dense as lead but I don’t think that’ll matter much in open water fishing. There’s currently a listing on Ebay for 50, 1/4 oz. unpainted, bismuth-tin alloy jigs for $28.49 ($0.57 each). A 58% Bismuth – 42% Tin alloy melts at 281 F vs. 621 F for lead. I’ve never tried to pour Bismuth-Tin alloy jigs but I suspect it will be possible. From what I read, Bismuth-Tin expands slightly as it cools so I don’t know how that would affect typical Do-It jig molds.
    So it’s true that non-lead alternative fishing tackle will be more expensive than lead, it won’t be at tungsten prices.

Ok great,years from now when all my lead is lost and has killed thousands of loons I will look into stocking up on this alternative.As for now the stuff is not available on store shelves and I dont buy tackle online or pour/paint jigs myself.

Reef W
    Participant

But were not going to talk about the Wake and Tri-toons cruising full speed by loons nest or destroying the shoreline.

Why not?

Charles
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>

Why not?

This is hole debate is brought up by few select very wealthy owners and senators that live up in Crosslake. They won’t touch pleasure boats instead they want to punish the fisherman.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

HF 947 c.3 has been drafted but still does not have more than a few cosigners from what I’ve read.

The actual text of the bill has not yet been released but it is rumored to relate to a year round, never closing fishing season so long as you agree to sync your phone’s location services with a transmitter in your boat supplied by the MNDNR to show your location at any time.

The bill is expected to head to committee by Mid June.

David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Well, at my lake association meeting there was a big deal on getting the lead out for the loons as we have quite a few on our lake. I decided to research where the numbers came from. I don’t remember the year but 160 loons were brought into the state rehab facilities, they were either found dead or close to it. Of the 160, 40 had ingested lead jigs, 25%. Of that 40 only like 12 had actually died of lead poisoning, the rest died because they had a jig lodged in their throats and probably starved to death. The presentation had a picture of gravel with split shots intermixed. I’m thinking to myself…where did they take that picture or was it staged as I wondered how big a problem is split shot mixed with gravel? I concluded that the real problem is people using bad line, too light of test, as these lead jigs more than likely came from fish that had broken off like a small northern, then a loon decided that the disabled fish would be a good meal. Weather lead or lead free this is the same issue. I use premium mono and exclusively 8#. I have lost jigs in rocks before however it would take a strong loon to dislodge something I had to break off. Maybe they should simply make the law, no jigging with line under 8# test, or you have to have your line certified every year that you have fresh line on. So I researched loon mortality and young loon’s are especially susceptible to predation from bald eagles and muskies. This is from the national wildlife foundation: Adult loons are rarely prey for other species, with the possible exception of sea otters and large raptors such as bald eagles and ospreys. However, their eggs and chicks are eaten by raccoons, ravens, bald eagles, minks, gulls, crows, snapping turtles, skunks, foxes, northern pike, and muskies. A friend told me they witnessed an eagle plucking a baby loon off the adult’s back. Heck, they make baby duck shaped lures for muskies and bass, so why are you stocking muskies in the lake? I can just see it now, save a loon shoot an eagle. Just another do gooder making a difference without regard to common sense. Uffda

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

I inherited some bismuth tin sinkers the other day. Tried them yesterday and they had a slower fall than lead or tungsten. Not impressed but I will try using a larger one next time.

Brittman
    Participant

Many high-end lakes do not care for fisherman. Fisherman just cast too close to their expansive docks. chased

Interesting note on the majority of loons dying from the entire jig (hook) and not the lead.

DNR continues to increase the number of muskie lakes across loon country ? Invasive species detrimental to loons … let’s stop now where we are at.

Was on Cross a couple days last summer. Saw a tri-toon with dual 350 outboard motors.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Did anyones elses led jigs make their transition yet? If so what do they identify as and whats their pronouns?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

ive been watching this thread from the start. its been an interesting read. i’m not sure where all these dead birds come from, but i’ve been going up to itasca county since i’ve been 6-7 years old. and there are loons and eagles everywhere up there……i have yet to see a dead eagle or loon, and i fish alot of different lakes and venture into a lot of different wooded areas,

when mt hooks and or sinkers get low i’ll replace them with whatever is available, not until then.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

and there are loons and eagles everywhere up there……i have yet to see a dead eagle or loon

This bill has nothing to do with eagles. Absolutely nothing. They do not swim to the bottom of lakes and ingest lead.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    and there are loons and eagles everywhere up there……i have yet to see a dead eagle or loon

This bill has nothing to do with eagles. Absolutely nothing. They do not swim to the bottom of lakes and ingest lead.

I believe he included loons in this. Why discount him?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

yea but the terrorists say they eat lead from bullet fragments. AND they do eat about anything that could have ate lead components!!!!!

and whether or not you want to acknowledge it or not………eagles are a topic if this lead thing!!!!!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

yea but the terrorists say they eat lead from bullet fragments. AND they do eat about anything that could have ate lead components!!!!!

and whether or not you want to acknowledge it or not………eagles are a topic if this lead thing!!!!!

Yes, they do. However, there is nothing in this bill about a lead ammo ban. So therefore, as of right now, this still has nothing to do with eagles.

If there is another bill proposal about a lead based ammo ban, then we can start talking about eagles. The last time they tried to push this through, they bundled it into one bill. And just as an FYI to whoever thinks a lead based ammo ban is needed to help eagles, the population of bald eagles in North America has literally never been higher.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Ok whatever doah your always right!:???:

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Ok whatever doah your always right!:???:

The bill is posted on page 1. Show me where it references lead based ammo Glenn.

matt
    Participant

Talking about eagles,didnt multiple eagles just die from eating out of the local garbage dump?Oh well at least loons will be safe now.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

The bill is posted on page 1. Show me where it references lead based ammo Glenn.
    [/quote] I’m not going to argue with you sorry I brought it up! crazy coffee

Brittman
    Participant

hah Maybe eagles are dying because they are consuming dead and dying loons with lead in them … moving up the food chain.

I thought the post above was pretty interesting.

Are loons ingesting lead split shot and lead jigs off the bottom or is it jigs stuck on or in the fish they are consuming?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

hah Maybe eagles are dying because they are consuming dead and dying loons with lead in them … moving up the food chain.

I thought the post above was pretty interesting.

Are loons ingesting lead split shot and lead jigs off the bottom or is it jigs stuck on or in the fish they are consuming?

hey, no bringing up eagles in this thread! doah moon rotflol

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Are loons ingesting lead split shot and lead jigs off the bottom

My understanding is that they are picking up lead jigs, sinkers, weights, etc off the bottom when they pick up grit for their gizzards.

Lol you guys and the eagles.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Lol you guys and the eagles.
    [/quote]

Almost as bad as you and the weatherman chased rotflol

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Almost as bad as you and the weatherman

Haha. Weather terrorists

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol rotflol ^^^^^

Riverrat
    Participant

Water Gremlin is an excellent source of Tin-Bismuth split shot. And the lead manufactured there rarely poisons anyone but the employees and neighbors of the facility. MN DNR quotes a study that shows as many loons died of lead poison as fishing line entanglement. MN Pollution Control agency makes several claims, but no references are available. This bill is not currently scheduled for committee review, but it can be assumed that lakeshore associations and the MPCA will reintroduce every year.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.