Helix 5/7 jig charge mode

• Ishmel

Hey all, I am unboxing my new ice helix 5 and working out the features. I keep reading about the “jig charge mode” for charging my glow jigs, but can’t figure out how to do it. Does anyone know how this works?

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Press the power button once, you’ll see brightness, night mode, stand by, and jig charge. Scroll to jig charge, press the right arrow button and it will flash a white screen for 5 or so seconds and then automatically go back to the previous screen. Doesn’t seem like a very valuable feature to me but if it is to you then great!

Ishmel

Interesting. Thank you. Sounds like a gimmick; marketing wank. I was hoping maybe the way a uv light or something useful.

Walleyeguy34

Jig charge mode is a joke on the helix. It’s more like suck your battery down mode. You’re better off getting a rapala glow box or vexilar glow ring.

Ice Cap

Yep. Too many other ways to charge a jig. Humminbird marketing must have added it so as to lengthen the feature list.

This is up there with their ice fishing autochart propaganda; the direct result of too many office meetings.

Ishmel

This is up there with their ice fishing autochart propaganda; the direct result of too many office meetings.

Will you explain this more? I am curious about what you mean, is the autochart no good for ice fishing?

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishwater wrote:</div>

Will you explain this more? I am curious about what you mean, is the autochart no good for ice fishing?

Humminbird came out with autochart for ice fishing. You can still use the autochart maps that you may have created in the summer, however, this new feature gives you a single point autochart reading when you drop your ice transducer down the hole. the only way I could imagine this being even remotely helpful is if you go to a new lake, punch a 100×100 ft grid of holes 5 feet apart in order to find a spot on a spot location. the amount of effort to create an autochart map on the ice is infinitely more for something that would take less than 5 minutes in open water. Also, due to fluctuating ice thicknesses, your transducer height in the water would change over time and would not be the same as in the summer. IMO, better off using a map card and save hours of hassle.

Ishmel

Luttes, thanks for the explanation. I’m taking mine icefishing next weekend and since I got a free map with it, I’ll download the one for the lake i’m heading to to see if I like it a bunch better then the basemaps. Since most of my summer fishing is drifting in a canoe, I’m not sure I’ll really need the full compliment of maps for another $150.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.