HDS7 or 898

• mikeraiche
    Arkansaw Wi

Hey now that both of these have been out for a year or so, anyone have an opinion on which one is preferred. I know lowrance was having some costomer service issues. Was hoping to get one of these 2 units on a year end sale. thanks for your input.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m shopping too and am looking at the HDS8. I have nothing to steer you one way or another, Lowrance or Hummer…just that I’ve owned a fleet of Lowrance in the past 35 years and will likely stick with them.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

I have both a HDS 8 and a 997 and I prefer the Humminbird for several reasons. It is much easier to use, the side imaging is quite a bit better that Lowrance especially further away from the boat you go, at least it does for me. I tend to fish shallower water most of the time and the lowrance system does not scan out like the Humminbird does. In 3 years I have had the 997 not one issue. The HDS model is extremely slow to responde to button pushes, it has gotten better with software updates but not what an $1800 unit should be. The problem with Lowrance customer service is their products lack the same level of quality control Humminbird has. There are way to many issues with them for water intrustion to very slow operation.

mudcatkid
    On water

I “bit the bullet” last summer and picked up an 898cSI. I do not regret the purchase one bit. I have not had much experience with Lowrance, but I can confidently say I spent a couple hours tinkering with both HB and LR during numerous visits to Cabela’s. In that short time, I was more impressed with the HB functionality (easier to use). Plus, the HB is quick to respond to my erratic, ADD-like clicking of buttons when I am searching for a different screen mode or changing settings.

I have not used it it in < freezing temps during winter fishing, solely due to the fact my 60hp Etec siezed up the other week. Hopefully I can dump the boat in yet this Dec for some frypan saugers, then I will know how it operates in cold conditions.

The HumminbirdPC program is easy to use as well.

GreggEbert

rochy, I cannot speak for Low. but I love my HB. I have the 898 on the bow. My only negative on this unit is the screen sure could be brighter. I have the 1197 on the dash. What a tool it has been. I would suggest you look into a 1197. You will find almost $1000.00 off this unit. This price will be a little more than the new 898 but well worth the investment. Good luck in your search.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

rochy, I cannot speak for Low. but I love my HB. I have the 898 on the bow. My only negative on this unit is the screen sure could be brighter. I have the 1197 on the dash. What a tool it has been. I would suggest you look into a 1197. You will find almost $1000.00 off this unit. This price will be a little more than the new 898 but well worth the investment. Good luck in your search.

Does anything really compare to the 1197? I have the 797c2si. Which I would never go without HBird SI 3 years and not one blip. ( Lowrance user for 25 + years ). Hbird menus are so much easier then Low in fact the whole unit is much easier to use. I been saving my change in gallon jars just for the 1197.

I am more then confident you will be more then happy with the 898 once you have it set up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.