Humminbird Ethernet Networking

• Bird
    River Falls, WI

For those of you that have 2 Humminbird units Etherneted together was it worth the money in cable to share waypoints, tracking, routing?
    How does it work…waypoints saved on one unit will show up on the other…do you have to send the waypoint files back and forth or do they just show up on both once entered and saved on one unit?
    Thanks in advance.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

On mine both units have to be on to show WP’s that are on either unit.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Mo
    Presently I am using an 898 with side imaging, a 788cihd, and a Terrova Ipilot link. All is networked via a Humminbird ether net hub. 898 in back and the 788 up front. I do share way points. My antenna for the 898 is close to the 898 for way point accuracy, it all works well except I am having an issue running of the US2 transducer in the Terrova on the 788. It worked awhile back and now is not. I am confident I can find out the issue.
    Anyway what is nice is that when the Terrova is not deployed anyone up front can see what is underneath the rear transducer for the 898 and get water temperature. The 788 has really just become a monitor. Now if I were to do it over I would have waited on the front 788 and purchased an 1100 series for the back of the boat and purchased something larger than the 788 later on for up front. With all the information that these units can display a larger screen is needed to take advantage of all the information. I personally think it is good to have all the way points as one data base on one unit and share them with the other unit.
    The Terrova trolling motor is incredible! Fantastic boat control and really allows me to concentrate on fishing more and less on where is the boat going, where is the current and wind pushing me. You can navigate to various way points. Or sting a series of way points to make a trolling track. Or just hold your position while you take care of something else or just vertical fish or cast.
    I am fairly new to this and had no problems installing it all my self
    BB

djsmarine
    Georgia

The advantage to having ethernet connections is that you don’t have to put the same waypoint on both units. If you are up front, set a waypoint, it will also show up at the console unit. Saves you from running back and forth to set the waypoint twice. FYI It does not copy the way point on both units, to modify or delete a waypoint you have to go to the unit it was saved on.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Another option is to use HumminBirdPC software and sync your waypoints on your PC. This requires you to save waypoints from each unit to an SD card and have a SD card reader for the PC. Fire up the HumminBirdPC software, import the files from the sd cards, then create a file for the set of waypoints and copy all waypoints from both imported files to that new file, sort the waypoints by the coordinates and carefully delete duplicates. Make sure to check all the coordinate numbers for the waypoints so you don’t delete any that are not really duplicates. Then load that file back to the SD cards and put the card in the unit it will prompt you if you want to have them read in. It really is easier than it sounds. HumminBird PC is available from the HumminBird support page where you download the updates for your Bird from.

All this being said my units are networked. Since I fish the same lake most of the time I just do the combining of files once or twice a year.

Winter project – In HumminBirdPC I created files for all the lakes I had old waypoints from and organized them that way. That was a lot more work but HumminBirdPC has the feature to show where a waypoint is using Google Maps. that is a pretty cool feature and really helped do that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.