HBird helix 12 & 1199 ???

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Currently using 1199si and have two hdsi duecer port and starboard.

Going to remove my antique 898si which is linked to my 1199si and I want to get a helix 12 si and link with my 1199si.

I want full functionality with this setup. The only gain as far as I know is chirp, and of course screen size…

So, at this point I’m assuming I’ll be removing my two hdsi duecers and replacing with the new duecer for the helix 12, assuming they’re different, I do not know.

Will CHIRP work on my 1199 if they are linked? Or will chirp only work on the helix? I’m not understanding this.

My objective is to have the helix 12 showing full screen SI and the 1199si showing chirp and map.

If the 1199 can’t display chirp, then I might as well get the non si helix 12 and run chirp/map on the helix and continue to run full screen SI from my 1199. My fear in this situation is how well will they play together with separate duecers. I’m guessing not well.

Any help here would be great. Hopefully I’ll have a 12 on the boat by end of weekend unless I find I can’t do what I’d like.

I’ll also move my 788 to the bow and hook up to TM since it will no longer have a purpose on the dash and 898 will collect dust probably.

So, at this point I’m assuming I’ll be removing my two hdsi duecers and replacing with the new duecer for the helix 12, assuming they’re different, I do not know.

Same ducer.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Crap.

This is not what I wanted to hear but glad I did.

So what do you think my best options are?

Run 1199 full screen si networked from helix 12 duecer. And then run chirp and map on the 12.

Or, get the non si helix 12 and hook up existing duecers to 1199 and network helix 12 chirp from 1199?

I want to avoid two units with separate duecers.

Thanks.

Is there any advantage of running chirp and 2d side by side? Example: 1199 showing 2d and map and helix showing si & chirp… All networked from a single duecer hooked up to helix?

Sounds like you need two helix 12 units. jester

I guess you can share 2d if you turn chirp off?

Here’s a post from WC that goes into this a bit:
    http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-497002.html

The last post is where J.Halfen mentions you can turn the chirp off to network the 2d. You might want to double check this functionality before purchasing!

Seems odd that they can make SI transferable via network to a non-SI, but then require you to turn off CHIRP to make 2D transferable. To me, seems like a software update is in order to fix this.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

if you got the Helix 12 SI Chirp, you could connect it to your existing transducers and use it to display Chirp sonar…and send the SI images over a network cable to the 1199 for display.

if you get the non-SI version of the Helix, you’d have to use separate transducers. may be worth the extra cost to keep things cleaner/less transducers?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

ems odd that they can make SI transferable via network to a non-SI, but then require you to turn off CHIRP to make 2D transferable. To me, seems like a software update is in order to fix this.

Agree, does seem quite odd.

Definitely need two 12’s. )

Going to pick up the 12 SI shortly.

Really appreciate the info guys.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Its an 898csi
    This is not LED back lit so your aware.

What is it worth to you?

I’m not sure I’ll part with it just yet but could have my mind made up on that by end of weekend.

Full disclosure
    Power button sticks and so do quick screen buttons, that’ll annoy you a bit but can be lived with.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

See if I can get that big boy installed tonight and trial tomorrow!

leroy golden

OK I will keep watching to see what you decide

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’ve been researching a similar question myself. My understanding is that the Helix 12 SI needs an optional transducer for CHIRP, but I can’t find anything definitive on what it is or where to get it….

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Here the before and after

Ps
    Leroy, I’m going to keep the 898.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20160326065422243-1.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-201604212030275031.jpg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

new install looks good…that’s a lot of screen real estate!

My understanding is that the Helix 12 SI needs an optional transducer for CHIRP, but I can’t find anything definitive on what it is or where to get it….

the frequency ranges needed for Chirp can be produced from the same HDSI transducer that came with the 999/1199 units and the Helix 10/12 units…just not the Helix 9. and of course, only the Helix 12 has the software/computing power to interpret them.

Helix 10/12: XHS 9 HDSI 180 T (same as came with the 999/1199)
    Helix 9: XNT 9 SI 180 T

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Wrong. I got the Helix 12 networked with a 1198 si and a 959 di. The Helix will not show up on the network units unless the chirp is turned off. I run my transom ducers through the Helix. The SI and DI through a 2 ducer/1 unit switch. Then that plugs into the Y cable for the si/di and 2d in-hull ducer. The Helix will not show up on the network in the core units if chirp is turned on in the Helix. You will have to run with the chirp set to off. If it makes you feel better I am told chirp doesn’t buy you much in the typical shallow water we fish. But Humminbird won’t tell you any of these things. They are in the bussiness to sell these things. Chirp is new and cool = sales. If you want to network chirp you will need all new chirp units.
    Also the hype of no boxes and just an overlay is just hype. In overlay mode you have no control of what is displayed. Only the size of the decimals.You can still select what is in the boxes.

Attachments:
    1. 20160415_103854.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah, with zero experience at this point my understanding is chirp must be turned off on the helix for 2d to be networked with another unit.

Currently, because I didn’t have or buy the Ethernet cable ( thought the one I had would work, without thinking) I have each unit hooked up to its own hdsi. I’m expecting interference but will know tonight for sure.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well it’s been over a year since I bought my 1199 Ave I have yet to update it. I think I’ll need to try that tonight.

On river last night I couldn’t get side imaging or 2d to Ethernet from helix to 1199. They just showed blank sonar screens. Chirp on or off didn’t matter. Assuming since my 1199 was purchased before the conception of the helix an update should resolve it.

Have the zero lines card and live mapping is awesome!
    Kind of wish there was a setting that wouldn’t let it record depth data adove a certain speed setting of your choice. I’ll just need to get in a habit of turning record on and off since my on plane data is hit or miss depth accuracy

So far loving the upgrade

788 is now on bow hooked to TM and working great

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.