Lake Pokegama Jig Fishing

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first but it sure works, pitching jigs in the weeds for walleyes. One more technique I can now add to my aresonal in the summer heat.

As the daytime surface temps on Pokegama have now reached 80+ degrees, as suspected the fish move to the weeds. Try to locate the fish with your sonar or structure scan and vertical jig, troll, or drift along the inside weed edge in 9-12 feet of water. Jigs with minnows or plastics worked; I prefer weedless jigs with paddletails or ringworms (purple chartruesse) from BFishN Tackle.

Early morning you can still catch fish riggin’ or spinnin’ along the outside weed edge in 18 to 24 fow but by midmorning when its hot and the sun is out, try this jiggin’ tactic to catch some walleyes and a few nice bass along the way before the evening bite.

GOOD LUCK FISHING!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Mike

This past week I got in on a phenomenal jig and plastic bite out in South Dakota fishing near Webster. Water temps were 76 – 80 degrees and the fish were tight to the flooded timber and weed lines. We had a great day pitching Moxies and jigs at a time when most all but put the plastics away for the summer. We tried livebait, mainly crawlers, but the fish definitely wanted the orange chartreuse core plastic over anything else we tried.

I’m kicking around the idea of taking a day later this week to try the same basic presentation on Mille Lacs to see if the walleye have piled into the cabbage beds. I’ll be sure to let you know how that goes if I can get out to give it a try.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Sounds like a blast, unfortunately other obligations have not allowed me to get out a whole lot to test my theory on the plastic jigs as much as I would like. My next test is to rip some bucktails or plastics on some deepwater reefs to see if I can trigger an active bite.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.