Gopher Tackle

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I was wondering if anyone on IDO has ever worked with or dealt with these guys?
    http://www.gophertackle.com/

I read an article on them in InFisherman and it seems like a cool jig making company that has been around the Mille Lacs Lake/Aiken Area for a long time.

I have been trying to get a hold of them since last Friday morning. I have called, left V/Ms, and emailed them a few times. So far I have heard nothing back.

I also put an order in (for a decent amount of product last Monday) and wrote in the comments that I was trying to get a hold of them to answer some questions before I put in an even larger order. I got a generic confirmation email from them and that is all.

I understand companies are busy, and maybe they are even off for the week of the Thanksgiving Holiday, but it would be nice if I at least got an out of office email, or out of office v/m, or even if they put up a note on their website.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a hold of them. I would love to keep my business local and in MN but I am currently a little frustrated.

nord

I’ve always called them in the morning to place an order. I’ve never had a problem.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I’ve always called them in the morning to place an order.

I tried calling both morning and evening on Friday and Monday and then left v/ms. I’m fine cutting them some slack as it’s a holiday week and not peak season. They seem like a rebutable company, so hopefully nothing serious happened that pulled them away from the shop unexpectedly.

I was more just curious if anyone knew a better way to get ahold of them.

tim hurley

Best jigs around, great for jigworms.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

all I can say is slow down

I don’t think expecting to get a response via email or phone call in 5 days is acting too fast…

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

This is an old school one man business that makes the finest jig product made.

One person. He pours the jigs, paints the jigs, takes the orders, packs the orders and ships the orders.

Use his website, place an order on the website. then expect an order to be shipped a few weeks later. If you have specific questions about a jig, it may be hard to get in touch with him. I am not related to the company in any way but could answer your questions as I have used them for 20+ years and know his products well.

nord

Is this the number you’ve been calling? 218-546-8195 It’s an interesting experience talking to him when you do get through to him. Might find that you’re chuckling to yourself. Good Luck

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Is this the number you’ve been calling? 218-546-8195

Yes that is the number. Still no luck.

am not related to the company in any way but could answer your questions as I have used them for 20+ years and know his products well.

Thanks Smallie guy,
    1) I would love to see a color chart for the options he has.
    2) I was also curious if anyone has ever made 1000-2000 jigs orders and if he offers any quantity discount pricing.
    3) Lastly, would he modify jigs for larger orders (like adding a bottom wire bait keeper or painting other powder coats color options.)

A lot of qs and hence why I would love to pick his brain but I appriciate everyone’s help here too!

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I picked up a large book order this summer. I was also able to review his colors…..He makes every color you can imagine which is good and bad.

I had similar questions as you and was able to get them answered in person. He may work with you but like any manufacturer it is not good business to undercut retailers. That said, dealers usually cary the wrong stuff as far as I am concerned which is why I planned a trip by his shop when I was in the area.

He was more than cordial and willing to help.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

He may work with you but like any manufacturer it is not good business to undercut retailers.

That would be totally understandable. His painted prices are already very very good. It would just surprise me if his 10 packs were on the same pricing scale as large retailer orders.

He is about 2 hrs from me
    And I have no problem driving up there if it’s the best option.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Ownership did turn over. Connie is retired.

Notarially sure you are gonna save big enough money to drip 4 hours round trip. Now if you were heading north and can make a detour? that makes sense.

shamus
    Inactive

If you place an order don’t be in a hurry to get it. After I placed my order online it took at least a month and a half before I got it, but the product was good and I got what I asked for.

Good luck

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

After I placed my order online it took at least a month and a half before I got it

I guess if that’s how it is, I just have to wait. I know they make an awesome product and seem to have a good rep in the past, its just unfortunate about their non existent CS.

I realize being a one man shop maybe they don’t want to take on more business and they can work at a pace that they please and if that is how they work we just have to accept it and roll with it.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Update here. I cancelled my order as I was sick of waiting and found someone else to make these jigs.

It has been a little over 8 weeks and I haven’t heard a peep from Gopher Tackle. My card was never charged which is good and maybe someday it will get charged and some jigs will show up at my door, but I am not holding my breath )

For those of you still ordering or ordering in the future I hope it works out. I am just not the one to bang down the door of another man for months just to get a few jigs.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Update here. I cancelled my order as I was sick of waiting and found someone else to make these jigs.

It has been a little over 8 weeks and I haven’t heard a peep from Gopher Tackle. My card was never charged which is good and maybe someday it will get charged and some jigs will show up at my door, but I am not holding my breath )

For those of you still ordering or ordering in the future I hope it works out. I am just not the one to bang down the door of another man for months just to get a few jigs.

Kids these days are so impatient rotflol rotflol rotflol

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Yeah! I blame the dang internets and that World Wide Web

gordonk
    Inactive

I just hit their website and called and someone answered right away and assured me that they are in fact, open and ready for business. Good to know since I use their jigs.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

@sirrusrods Amazing! I wish I could of been so lucky.

Jerry Curtiss

@evan_pheneger – similar problem been going on over a month; yet they processed my credit card for payment and I have yet to receive any product. % separate e-mails and NO communication from them. I phone call and all I got was a recording that said the voicemail box is full. This company is a FRAUD! Save your time, patience and money and order Z-man shroom heads.

tim hurley

I have always had great luck with the jigs themselves and ordering directly from the company. I have not ordered this year so I hope everything is OK with that company. I have the highest respect for small business owners, it can be tough.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I have the highest respect for small business owners, it can be tough.

Many aspects are tough. Production, distribution, Etc.

Communication is easy. If you have a website that allows customers to place orders, you better be able to fill them– or take 2 minutes to post an update to your website explaining why you need to temporarily suspend taking new orders while you fulfill your backlog of obligations to your customers. And if you’re going to publicly post an email address you need to check it frequently and reply in a reasonable time. That’s the bare minimum in my opinion.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.