Good trolling stretches on Kab?

• bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Hey guys, been going to the lake for many years now, and have always done well jigging for walleyes deep and casting for smallies/eyes shallow, this year we want to find a good long stretch to set out the trolling spread on a nice calm evening and take the wife’s out and enjoy the evening on the lake as well as have a good shot of putting some fish in the boat. With 4 people, 2 of which don’t want to cast or jig or rig, we feel that doing a nice long trolling run with shad raps will be just what the doctor ordered for a fun evening on the water. just looking on the map chip of the lake I think the far west – south west side looks to have a decent shoreline to make this happen. Looking for 8-12 feet of water with some weeds. Want to keep it simple for everyone and just cruise along with 4 rods in the rod holders waiting for the clickers to go off…..Anyone on here have some other suggestions for this scenario? Thanks

eyeguy507
    SE MN

About 5 years ago we trolled the SW weed edge a few times. I think we got a few pike is all. Only fished the lake half a dozen times but 95% jigging and all in October. With so many deep drop offs I don’t know if many have much luck trolling unless they can get really deep with leadcore.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It’s a tough lake to contour troll shad raps. Many of the good breaks in that depth range are very close to shore or are too short to set up a real run.
    Most of the weeds grow out to about 8ft.
    Id suggest, depending on the time of year, trolling in/ over the weeds in the large bays with shallow shad raps, troll in the basin and target suspended fish, or if you have leadcore that is an option as well.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Yea, I have a pretty good understanding of the lake, and was kind of scratching my head as to where a good run would be, looking on the map, it appears I can get the longest run starting around Peterson Bay and going south then east. We are staying at Idlewild resort, and I know there is a decent weedline out in front of there. It also looks like the mouth of Tom Cod bay could be decent. I just stripped my lead core off my trolling rods as I havent used it in about 10 years, I dont have several trays of Deep Tail Dancers and other deep divers that I should be able to reach about any depth on Kab. I was just thinking the fish would be shallow still this time of year as that is mostly where I have caught them in the past.

walldows

We used to fish Kab every summer for years. We had good luck trolling the south side of Ram island and up and around the Three Sister Islands. If the wind is right Sugerbush can be really good too.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We are heading up June 15th. One area you might want to try is Tom Cod Bay not too much for structure, but it has some weeds. We did well a few years back tolling shallower diving cranks through that area in about 10FOW. Always a chance at a pike too.. Also maybe up the river towards gold portage? IF wind is right you could troll east west from the narrows to Ellsworth Rock Garden. We caught some nice fish in that area lindy rigging in about 16FOW

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You will love Tom Cod. They spear the living he77 out of the big Pike EVERY winter right there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.