Good book recommendations?

• tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’m not much of a reader . . . but when I do . . . I really liked “Into Thin Air” (true story of Mt Everest expedition gone bad – I think a movie based on it coming this fall) and the Vince Flynn (gov’t/spy) novels are great!

I’m also a Jon Krakauer fan. Other books besides “Into Thin Air” are “Under the Banner of Heaven” (scary violent faith account of the FLDS) & “Where Men Win Glory” (Pat Tillman story).

I also liked Joe Simpson’s Book “Into the Void” (mountain climbing in the Andes gone bad).

Or… “The Indifferent Stars Above” by Daniel James Brown (Donner Party account).

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I also liked Joe Simpson’s Book “Into the Void” (mountain climbing in the Andes gone bad).

Funny… The Book is called “Touching the Void”. Perhaps you could read it while listening to Black Sabbath “Masters of Reality”.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    walleye fishing by BK??????????  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

I heard he published it under the name River Rat Randy to prevent stalkers.
    DT

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

No DT….its Red River Rat Randy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You could read through the list of AIS infected lakes in the regs book.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

“Leadership and Self-Deception” by The Arbinger Institute

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Chesapeake by Michener. Especially if your a waterfowler.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’m partial to the rogue warrior series by Richard Marcinko (the guy that started seal team 6). Never really been one to read for fun but I can burn through one his books in about two days.

Kyhl
    Savage

I’m not much of a reader . . . but when I do . . . I really liked “Into Thin Air” (true story of Mt Everest expedition gone bad – I think a movie based on it coming this fall) and the Vince Flynn (gov’t/spy) novels are great!

Also check out “Into the Wild” by the same auther. It is another true story about a kid out of college that traipses across the US and ends up in Alaska.

Another true story closer to home is “Lost in the Wild” by Terry Griffith. It is a couple of stories of people being lost in the woods. One in Northern MN and one in Quetico.

On another note, after watching the Wayward Pines mini-series this summer, I started the first of three books on that story. Haven’t finished it though to see if it is recommended.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

X2 on Atlas Shrugged!

lhprop1
    Eagan

x2 on Minnesotan Vince Flynn’s series, Mitch Rapp is bad a$$ and supposedly going to be going to the big screen soon.

If you like the Vince Flynn novels, you’ll love Dalton Fury’s books about Delta Force operator Kolt Raynor. He’s got 3 fiction books so far and his 4th is due out in October.

If you like a funny story, you’ll bust a nut laughing at Insane City by Dave Barry.

Books with local ties:

So Terrible a Storm by Curt Brown. Great account of the storm of 1905 that rocked Lake Superior.

The Last Full Measure: The Life and Death of the 1st Minnesota Volunteers by Richard Moe. Well written, easy to read account of the MN volunteers that fought in the Civil War

joc
    Western and Central, NY

12 hours in the air? How about the Holy Bible?

x2, bringing it on my Fly-in to James bay area next month.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I highly recommend Killing Kennedy, Killing Patton, Killing Lincoln, and Killing Jesus written by Martin Dugard and Bill O’Reilly. Incredible fascinating and engaging reads.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ve got flight time on Sunday and forgot to get some reading.

I’ll do x2 for several above

American Sniper
    Lone Survivor
    Hemingway
    They shoot canoes don’t they(read it many years ago. loved reading McManus)
    Into the Wild
    Into thin Air

Couple more
    Here’s one for backpacking: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.
    Canoeing with the Cree, story of paddling from MN and up the Red River up to Hudson Bay

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Saw the movie and got chills remembering. This and the story of Shackleton in Antarctica are my top two survival stories by far.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Merle’s Door by Ted Kerasote

waytogo waytogo

x2
    This is good book and Ted has another book called “Pukka’s Promise- the Search for a Long Lived Dog” This a great book for anyone looking to buy or who owns a dog. Super interesting and lots of valuable info. I read it in a long weekend.
    waytogo waytogo

robby
    Quad Cities

Fifty Shades of Great.– Robby’s Biography. J/k.

Hell, I was there! By Elmer Keith.

The last of the market hunters. Can’t remember who wrote it.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.