Gear Needed to Boat Lake Michigan

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I plan on using my 17′ Lund to fish close to shore in two weeks. What safety gear must I have? I was hoping its different for fishing close in but if not I need time to purchase. Flares? Radio? Etc
    I have the standard horn, fire extinguisher and life preservers of course. Thank you.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

The main thing that you need, but probably don’t have is the Flares. Make sure they are day\nite visible. No idea why they even make day only flares…. Make sure your fire extinguisher isn’t expired. Not all expire, but the ones that do need to be up to date. Keep your throwable OUT and ACCESSIBLE. Buried under a pile of gear does not work. Radio is not required, but a darn good idea. Another thing that they love to write tickets for is non covered battery terminals. ALL of your terminals must have the little rubber covers on them. Thats about it.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Make sure to check expiration date on the flares. I have seen flares at local stores in the metro being sold that are expired. They probably do not move much inventory…

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Flares are a must have item.I would check the dnr site\boating regs.I think radios may be required.A hand held is what we have used when out on GBay.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

One more thing that I forgot. Make sure your horn works. If not, but one of those compressed air horns. Need to have something that works. Again, must be ready and accessible.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The requirements have been covered by others. Must have PFDs, throwable, horn, and flares (at least 3, not expired, etc).

To me it would be madness to go out without a radio, a high-quality marine compass and laminated printed map, a GPS, and a cell phone. Have a charger and / or extra batteries for the GPS and the cell phone.

The last “must have” for me at least was to have marine towing insurance. If you break down out on the Great Lakes calling a commercial tow can cost hundreds of dollars just to get you to shore. I use Boat US and for $40 a year, it’s a small price to pay for the benefits of being able to summon a tow if needed on any of the lakes.

Grouse

The last “must have” for me at least was to have marine towing insurance. If you break down out on the Great Lakes calling a commercial tow can cost hundreds of dollars just to get you to shore. I use Boat US and for $40 a year, it’s a small price to pay for the benefits of being able to summon a tow if needed on any of the lakes.

Make sure to check your boat insurance policy for marine towing as well as most insurance carriers provide $500 of coverage automatically with the option to purchase more coverage should you feel the need to do so.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Where are you going out of?

I use my 17′ Lund out there any time the weather is even halfway decent. If it was bad – the harbors offer a great backup plan – and maybe even as good now.

I got that towing insurance on my boat before heading to Erie as well… it was even a cheaper add on through my policy – but you do need to pay attention to the details of it.

I like a few of the others I go out of Milwaukee – and you get cell coverage out pretty far. Further than I would guess that time of the year would take you. Radio is good if there is chatter – but again, that time of the year, you may not be needing it as much as it can help when the fish are out and scattered. Safety, yes – but not required. I have a decent little hand held, and can communicate for miles out there without a problem.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll be fishing out of Algoma. My backup insurance is my kicker motor which I will use to troll as well. I’m only fishing in front of the river mouth so I am not concerned about a dire emergency and floating away to Michigan. I’ve done it a couple times before years ago but we didnt have flares or a radio. Lucky we didnt get checked. If the wind is too bad we wont launch. Last time we couldnt launch on Sat so we fished the river from shore and got a couple that way. The big downside is Im missing Grouse opener for the first time in a very very long time.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Check the regs to be sure. My understanding is only boats that are over “x” feet in length are “required” to carry flares. Good idea to be safe, but required is something else.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Is you Tyee a 17 footer?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.