Garage Heat

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^If the sheetrock job looks rough or like an amateur did it, I’d do some investigation into the vapor barrier (or if one was even used) and the insulation for both the walls and ceiling. Lots of people rock out garages DIY style with either no intent of heating them at the time of no knowledge how to properly do all steps.

If you are talking about the 4×8′ sheets of foam board, I’m not sure it’d be cost effective or produce any desired results? A 2″ sheet of R-10 is probably $45-50 a piece if I had to guess without checking. Foam of any type has gotten absurdly expensive the past 4-5 years, outpacing a lot of other materials.

Dan Baker

Before installing insulation, add rafter vents. Their super easy to install and will help with airflow after insluation is added.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Adding to this thread- my garage is insulated and rocked, but not taped or mudded and the sheetrock job looks like an amateur with too many beers did it. Rather than tear it all out and start over (the correct and expensive way), would there be any real downside other to covering the ceiling with those pink foam boards for some added insulation up top?

Just put another layer over it. If you want you could add a layer of foam board in between

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Adding to this thread- my garage is insulated and rocked, but not taped or mudded and the sheetrock job looks like an amateur with too many beers did it. Rather than tear it all out and start over (the correct and expensive way), would there be any real downside other to covering the ceiling with those pink foam boards for some added insulation up top?

I would put steel over it, it will look nice and bright. Could put foam then steel.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.