Rainy Lake: Trophy Pike Lake?

• deilertson
    Rainy Lake, MN

Rainy Lake has been and continues to be one of THE best drive to – trophy pike lakes in North America. There are those that chase huge pike all over the globe and I bet if they were here to pattern these pike the why I have they would agree.

The good news is…the time is RIGHT NOW…the bad news is…it’s brief. Ice will end the chase for now. My belief is that the forage base has shifted from smelt, to primarily whitefish and tullibee. The result is fish with almost unbelievable girth compared to length. You have an honest chance at a 30 plus pound pike in Minnesota – right now.

Oh, and by the way, big smallies are staged up and ready for your offerings as well…if you know where to look.

Get here in the next 7 days!!! Mother Nature looks like she will keep the window open for another week.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

All I can say is WOW !!!!!

Those are some monster PIKE.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Those are some beefy esox!

bigpike

I am sooooo jealous!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Rainy Lake is a terrible destination for pike. Are you on a cell phone? prank caller, prank caller

deilertson
    Rainy Lake, MN

Huh? Sorry Pat K…not following ya? Anyway, there was a little ice out on the lake today. A little ice was it! Should be a good few days left. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t easily nail these fish every time you go out, but if you pick your calendar periods and days correctly…you will score!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Sorry, it was a quote from Pulp Fiction. Basically don’t discuss drugs on a cell phone and trying to translate that into Rainy info on the web.

Some days I’m funny only in my own head

To me it’s one of those damned if you do, damned if you don’t kind of things. Can’t help but share how great Rainy is but want to keep it to myself at the same time.

I’m going to have to wait until next summer to get a shot at one of those beauties. That is quite a beauty you have there!

deilertson
    Rainy Lake, MN

Ooops,sorry Pat K…Rainy is pretty awesome. These were just “little” fellas today. More to follow – no ice in sight.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Love how them big gators get that narley lower jaw. Nice fish!! What bays have iced up?

deilertson
    Rainy Lake, MN

Sinister,

No doubt! Their heads are huge when they get over that 20 pound mark…and yes really gnarly lower jaws!! My boat is still in the water. Fished yesterday and the day before looking for another giant pike…nothing huge, but some solid fish. Of course the one that got away was hefty! How hefty we’ll never know. Didn’t get a glimpse, but she was BIG.

There is a little ice in the west end of Jackfish Bay. A little ice in Cranberry. Black Bay narrows had ice a couple days ago, but I would guess it blew out. For the most part you can travel wherever you want to go right now. I plan on a couple more days, but it looks like the weather will get a little dicey by the end of the week.

Take care and good fishing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.