OtterTail 2/27

• bdlucas

I went up to Ottertail this weekend with my son(3yo) and a few guys. We rented a house from Meister guide service. The fishing was good in the morning until about noon with about 8 eyes and a bucnh of perch. From noon – 3pm it was slow. We dropped the camera down and you could see the walleyes just laying on the bottom. Their eyes would just light up when you put the camera on them. At about 4 it picked up again — all walleyes. I would say that we caught about 25 walleys and kept 12.

This was my first time to Ottertail and thoruroghly enjoyed it. There was very little traffic.

What are the average size walleyes that come out of there. Our keepers were all from 13.5 – 14.5 and the rest(throwbacks) were smaller than that.

I plan to head back up there this june.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Glad you had a good trip and caught a few fish – Ross know’s his stuff!

As for the size of the fish, it really depends on who you talk to. Fish size on OT varies greatly depending on the type of structure / depth you’re fishing. If you keep going back to Spot A because you’re catching fish but they are all 14″, then you tend to believe that’s all that’s in the lake. For those who are willing to go exploring, they are most often rewarded with some nice fish. That being said, there is a strong population of 16-20″ fish in OT right now ! OT can be somewhat intimidating if you’ve never fished it because of the vast structure, and finding them is oftentimes the hardest part – once you do, it’s typically game on! If you’re coming back in June, chances are pretty good you’ll get to experience what I’m talking about…..

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Stop by in June for a if you get a chance.

bdlucas

Yes Ross was great and his service was top notch. The houses were great. We went the rental house option because I was bringing my son, and thought we would have to fish outside to get fish, but only one fish came from out of his house, and we fished outside quite a bit. We are definately going back.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.