ice free baby!

• walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

We reached 80 degrees yesterday and it has been warm and windy since Fri. The Ice went off Big Detroit today and is off most all area lakes now. Crappie bite has already started in the shallows of some of the lakes black bays. Not a fast bite, but some of the males to be had now. Come on…..summer!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Brad,

Thanks for the update.Please keep us all posted on your findings with the shallow crappie/sunfish bite. Any early season lake reccomendations to target in the Nevis area?

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Not as familiar with Park Rapids. I will see what I can dig up. Back toward DL not to far from Nevis you can jump on Big Toad, Island and Sieverson. All have a good early Crappie bite. North mud (thru the gap) and into the bay has always been solid on Island. East shoreline pencil weeds and south bay on Big Toad and North shore weedline on Sieverson. Lake Sallie by the hatchery and the spillway between Graham and Wymer (by Frazee) have already been producing.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

DeeZee-what are you doing near Nevis??? My grandma and uncle live there. My cousin says that he is doing well for crappies on Mow lake. My grandma is on 3rd Crow-and the crappies should be going soon. 3rd Crow has some HUGE sunfish too.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Thanks Brad,
    We have hit all those lakes every year on opener for the last 7 years now and all the spots that you just mentioned were all producers for us all over the years. Thanks again for the dead on report.

DaveB,
    We have a tradition with my brothers and my dad every opener to spend in this area. My brother’s father-in-law has a place that we stay at for the weekend and we get to pound the lakes all night long and sleep during the day. Then I am off to Mille Lacs shortly after opener through the end of July. I actually look forward more to the bohemeth crappies than the walleyes up here because they are so nice and its a nice break for a weekend before I am off to chase walleyes again fo the next several months again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.