Opener Weekend in Detroit Lakes

• Anonymous

Sat morning we had beautiful weather until about 10am. Then came the cold, wind, and rain to boot. Fish were cooperating some. My boat had 6 eaters 3-19″, 3-16″ and one throw back 23 1/2″ in 5 hrs in the am. The bite was in 6-11′ of water throwing 1/8 oz jigs tipped with fatheads. We had 4 keepers 15-17″ in the pm, bait rigging rainbows in 20-23 ft (cold front fish). Sun morning was beautiful in the am and partner landed a 26 1/2 ” in the first 10min. We fished 3 hrs in the am and 4 hrs in the pm and had 17 keepers 15-18″ out of deep water off a sandbar. Mixed reports from others we talked to. Some lakes produced and some didn’t. Move and jump lakes seemed to be the key. Talk to John at Amoco bait for current info. Phone #is 218-846-2390

Anonymous

Brad,

We spent the weekend just east of DL as we usually do for opener. We tagged fish early on a few rock piles and were then able to lindy rig/jig a few from the steeper shoreline rock to sand later in the morning.

Then moved to a sand bay at the north end to weed through a bunch of pike for a few wally’s and few very nice jumbo perch!

Jumped lakes for Saturday night and fished a incoming creek at dusk casting #5 raps and jig/minnow in 4-6ft over weeds. A flurry of action for about an hour with the biggest around 21″.

Crappies were not active due to the cold water for us. We tried Friday night with no results and stayed away from the crappies for the rest of the weekend due to the continuing cool weather.

Fun weekend as usual up there.

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you had a good time. Isn’t fishing fun? Isn’t catching even better? Some crappies caught by some crappie veterans on Fri, Sat, and Sun. We never tried. Word was they are still out in the 8-12′ and not on any beds yet. Rip jigging tube jigs was the word I was given.

Anonymous

Deezee, Ever fish Toad Lake? I’ve been on that lake numerous times and caught some dandy sunfish,crappies and seen some really nice eye’s.Hav’nt had time to get there this year yet as the resort was sold and I hav’nt talked to the new owners to see if I can camp there yet.

Anonymous

chappy,

You know we have never been on Big Toad. Over the years we have fished Island lake, Shell, height of land, Many point, Round, waboose. We go up there every opener and thats it for a couple of us and then my brother continues to be up there most of the summer.

I have fished Little Toad Lake many years ago with some success. A few really big crappies and some nice bucket mouths is what we tangled into years back.

Ever fish Strawberry? or White Earth?

Anonymous

White Earth is a great walleye lake. Lots of good eating size eyes in the 14-17″ range. Last few years it doesn’t seem to turn as many pigs as it did a few years back. I recommend you pay the couple bucks and launch at the Cedar Crest Resort. Talk to Fred and he’ll get you started in the right direction. There have been problems in the past at the public access. Strawberry is a good walleye lake that has a deepwater bite from opener on through the excellent fall bite. Look to the 23-25 foot water and the mainlake hump straight out from the access as a starting point. Cal or email me if you get up to the area and I will give you what I can.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.