wave height forecast

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks that will be very helpful for last week in Oct up there!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Denny

Which area do you fish in late October? I thinking about a trip up into the islands might be awesome that time of year but I can’t find anyone that has made that trip that late.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Useful data. Thanks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Hey Denny

Which area do you fish in late October? I thinking about a trip up into the islands might be awesome that time of year but I can’t find anyone that has made that trip that late.

James,

A large group of us stay at Ballard’s the 4th week of Oct (23rd to the 28th and we fish the Rainy River from Wheelers Point to close to the rapids well past Frontier, and then the lake from Wheelers Point to Knights and Bridges Island. Some will swing towards Zipple Bay as well. There will quite a few of us there the last week of Oct.

Let me tell you my gluteus maxima were sore from all the squeezing it was getting on the trip up to the islands last year! Rather large rollers 4 to 5 ft in height and 30 ish feet apart. Had we not been going straight into them I would have never attempted it last year.

All for the elusive Hawg Eye!

Our size numbers can be all over the realm from 14 inches to 33 inches. Many will be in the very high 20 to low 30 inches every day! I think the two of us in my boat last year had 4 walleyes from 25 through 28 inches. We do a very quick towel catch, measure, picture and get the Ole girls back to swimming into their home environment. We eat very well (ok that too) and brought home our limit of real nice eaters in the 17/18 inch area!

This is a very affordable trip that I look forward to each and every year!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the info, DennyO. I’ve got an itch to get up in the islands that time of year and see if I can get into some bigger LOTW tankers up shallow on the shoreline breaks and top of the reefs. How shallow are you working the reefs late October?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.