a question on moxis

• mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

I like to fish walleyes right after ice out and want to try out some moxis. I’m worried tbey may be too aggressive of a presentation for that period though. Does anyone have any input on the topic? Thanks in advance.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Well to start off there a great bait i use them all the time i’m useing them now but moving them slow & catching fish. That tail gives great action give them a try you won’t go wrong

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have never used them, but they’re working well on P-4 now and have through the winter.

redneck
    Rosemount

I think part of the moxie design was to give maximum action at slow speeds. For early season when slow is at times the best presentation the moxie body style really shines.

stuart
    Mn.

Been putting fish in the boat the last couple months with them.Water temp around 33 to 35 .

drew-evans
    rochester MN

I would not use them they FOR SURE dont catch walleyes! J/K they work well for a slow presentation thats exactly what they were made for even says so right on the bag! if i were you though i wouldnt try them

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I just bought my first pack. I’m anxious to see how they work this summer.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Moxie’s are good baits.
    They put some very nice walleyes & saugers in our boat late last fall just before ice up.

walleyejgr

Got some from Dean last year and they catch fish down here in Iowa.Slow presentation and the right weight of lead head will produce fish.Don’t forget to get some Drag Queens as well.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m still waiting to get out this spring to try out the moxies. But these Curltailers are larger than the moxies, and I have eyes inhaling them at temps where ice is still flowing down the river

walleyejgr

Quote:

I’m still waiting to get out this spring to try out the moxies. But these Curltailers are larger than the moxies, and I have eyes inhaling them at temps where ice is still flowing down the river

Look good, now what are they?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

These are RipTide Saltwater baits (Curltailers) for redfish. I’ve been using them for eyes and bass for the last few years. For eyes though, I like the concept of the moxies much better. The plastic in these curltailers are a little stiffer than I like for very slow presentations.

mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

Thanks everyone for the quick response! I’ve got a couple packs of moxis ordered. I believe I chose purple chart tail, chart pepper, and I believe goldcracker or something along those lines. Can’t wait to try them out.

What is everyone’s take on ringworm vs. moxi? Are there certain conditions where one generally outperforms the other? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just getting into walleye fishing for the most part.

walleyejgr

Simple,just call Dean tell him you want the Supreme Master Will Catch Walleye Guaranteed Super Kit Ring worms come in the kit.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Do any shops around Minneapolis or northern MN have the B-Fishin lures?

3t

Do you need to use livebait when using a Moxi?

redneck
    Rosemount

Moxies are a new product and us average guys are still feeling them out as to when they will work. Due to their design I think they will shine in the colder water temps but who knows what will happen when a guy starts cranking up the speed a little as the water temps warm. I know I am looking forward to dragging them this Spring when conditions are right. I always let the walleye tell me what they want and throw a little of everything at them. There have been days that I thought the ringworm bite should be going but the walleye said paddletails and so paddletails it was. I have never put any kind of live bait on with ringworms or Moxies but who knows.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and for sure DOEN’T TRY DRAGGING A MOXIE NOW!!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Do any shops around Minneapolis or northern MN have the B-Fishin lures?

I know Joe’s sporting goods carry’s B’fishin plastics…not sure if they have Moxies in stock or not. Might be best to order from B’Fishin or Deans Tackle Box!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Just called Joes and they do have them in stock!!!…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. Joes got the Moxies in last fall. Diamond lake hardware in south MPLS talked about carrying BfishN tackle to but havent been in there to check yet. Vados carries some stuff but as of today still had all the shelves full of ice fishing gear. Heard that will get changed over very soon.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Do you need to use livebait when using a Moxi?

No minnows needed. When vertical jigging just lift off the bottom and hold. Let the tail do the work. Most of my fish hit today while holding the Moxies still just a few inches off the bottom.

Another trick I did with them today was to keep our boat speed just a little slower than the current. This kept the jigs trailing just a bit behind us and let the current work the tails of the Moxies a little more than staying completely vertical.

Problue was our best color today.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ringworms verses Moxies? Let the fish tell you.

Today I couldnt get a fish to go on a ringworm. Moxies did well. Last fall pitching wingdams throwing a variety of plastics seemed to work. Dont think Im to the point yet of limiting the plastics in my boat to one style. Yes there are days when they want one style over the other but there are just as many days that if you dont throw variety at them you are leaving fish behind.

Look at the variety of prey walleyes and saugers feed on. From small bugs and mayflies to leaches, worms and crawlers. Minnows of every size even up to other game fish that run 8,10, 12 inches and even bigger. One of the great thing about plastics is the ability of being able to match more of their food sources. With a bucket of fatheads you are pretty much just going to match a fathead.

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

Quote:

Ringworms verses Moxies? Let the fish tell you.

That is exactly what happened to us yesterday. My buddy, Mitch, used ringworms, and a variety of colors, a 3 hour period, he ended up with -0- fish , one bite.
    I had a “ribbon tall” worm, caught my limit…
    Never had to change, just kept trimming it down.
    We firmly believed it was the tails action, more aggressive
    that turned the fish on for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.