Lunch with a Soldier

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thought I would share this experience with others, as I thought of it being very cool how our sportsmen/women respond to our soldiers.

I’m working a Prostaff position at Cabelas in Richfield this weekend. I took a later lunch on Saturday and headed to the restaurant area on the 2nd floor. To my surprise, the place was pack. So as I stood there with a food tray in my hand and looking like a lost dog, I was a bit uncomfortable with just sitting down by anyone and stuff’n my face.

A young US Army Soldier made eye contact and nodded toward an open seat by him. A quick “you mind..” and I joined. Brief introduction and a conversation was started about his 2nd scheduled deployment for Afghanistan.

I was bit taken back on the maturity level and focus he had on his duties. Though his tone of voice was perceived as humble, you could tell the excitement he had to just talk. For me, it was a reminder of all the comforts in life I have. No matter of how tight money is, what we think we are sacrificing, and what we do without…doesn’t compare to what these guys are giving up for us. When I thanked him for his service on behalf of my family, he just simply said “Someone needs to do it and this is what makes it easier when I’m over there asking myself if I take another day of this”
    But over the 20 minutes we were talking during lunch, there had to be at least 7 or 8 people that walked by him, stopped, and expressed their gratitude for his service to all of us. Each time, I could see the facial expression of him holding back a smile as he simply said thank you, or your welcome. Walking away, I know I’ll most likely never cross paths with him again. But I was really happy to see how many others took the time to give him thanks. I don’t know if its the fact that we (Outdoors Men/Women) have a different level of appreciation for all we have or not. But a simple “Thank You for your Service” was easy to see how much it meant to this young man as he is mentally preparing for a return to Afghanistan for his second tour.

I know this is a common theme amongst many of us, and I hope it never gets old.

To all the Men and Women serving past, present, and future to defend our freedoms, I’ll never comprehend totally all the sacrifices you have made for me and my family. Please know that I am humbled by what you have done, and I sincerely want to THANK YOU.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Great post Randy! Thanks to all the armed forces for sure.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

X3

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Great story. To all that are serving and to those that have served, Thank You.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

Thats great to here..My son is in the army and gets thanked quite abit.its nice to hear thigs like that ..THANK YOU to all that serve..

kevin k
    Rio,Wi

Thanks for the post Randy. My youngest son is over there now. Hopefully he’s back in 3-4 weeks. Until 3 years ago I did’nt understand the sacrafice made by service personnel. A big thank you to all of you who served or are serving.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Some of us will never fully realize the sacrifice these young Men & Women make to serve our Country. But, I say Thank You to all the Service Men & Women, past, present & future.

2-months ago, my Dad, a WWII Vet passed into the Arms of Jesus. At his Funeral/Celebration of life service the Local VFW & Legion sent their guys (approx. 24 of them) out to do the Military Honors. It brought me to tears and I shook each guys hand and personally Thanked them for their Service in the past and for Honor my Dad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.