walleye ?

• thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

I fished the cannon river this week and figured it would be nice to keep a few walleyes for a fish fry since I very seldom keep fish. I kept 4 fish a 14 1/2, 18, 18 1/2 and a 20 they were all fat they were on a tear putting on the ol’ fall feed bag or so I thought. Got home and fillet em’ up and to my surprise all there stomachs were empty but there bellies were full of eggs every fish.
    It seems way to early for them to have full egg sacks, I could see if they were just starting to develop there eggs but to have full egg sacks seems odd to me.

Is this normal for walleyes to have that many eggs this time of year?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Take care everyone!
    Kevin

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Ours from Pool 4 today had eggs too

Can you keep a 14.5 inch walleye ????

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Don’t think their is a minimum length on walleyes in mn unless otherwise designated correct?

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

[quoteCan you keep a 14.5 inch walleye ????

Yes you can on inland waters in mn unless the body of water has a special slot which the cannon river doesn’t. The only length restrictions in effect everywhere in mn is you can only have 1 fish 20″+ in your possession.

Take care!
    Kevin

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

[quoteCan you keep a 14.5 inch walleye ????

Yes you can on inland waters in mn unless the body of water has a special slot which the cannon river doesn’t. The only length restrictions in effect everywhere in mn is you can only have 1 fish 20″+ in your possession.

Take care!

Kevin

Thanks for clearing that up for me Kevin

Nice work getting some fish for dinner

hawkeye27

all the walleyes I have caught have been the same way empty food wise but plum full of eggs. I am still fishing the lakes

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

It seems way to early for them to have full egg sacks, I could see if they were just starting to develop there eggs but to have full egg sacks seems odd to me.

It is common to start seeing egg growth as early as Sept. in our area. Given that we’re pushing into the middle of Nov. this isn’t unusual.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.