Hi Vis Line

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have been using hi vis yellow for years. Been happy but was wondering if orange is easier to see early/late. Just wondering if a switch is worth it. Do you guys prefer yellow over orange or vice versa. any comments?

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I love the yellow…especially in the back waters of the Mississippi. I’ve pulled in some big bass on the 3# stuff.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have been a fan of the yellow line vs the orange. I think the orange may be to visable for fish underwater under certain times. I feel that watching your line to detect the light bites is very critical in catching those finicky fish. I like the 2# or 3# Cortland line for my panfish rods…

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I do believe you’ll see better results with the green over the orange. Seems to be more visible for me and helps me catch more fish.

igotone

I love the yellow power pro

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

I love the yellow power pro

x2

Made the switch this year on two jigging poles and wont be going back. Tuff, visible and sensitive

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Open water River Walleye/Cat fishing I use Hi-Vis yellow…Winter angling on hard water Hi Vis would be the last line I’d use.

jhalfen

I use this picture a lot when talking about hi-vis lines.

From top to bottom:

Trilene Solar Sensation
    Suffix yellow (elite)
    Suffix tangerine (siege)
    Cortland

I’ve tended more and more towards orange lines. They are exceptionally visible at dawn and dusk. Think about how that orange tip-up flag color leaps out of the snow, especially at dusk as the walleyes are getting active under the ice. The same occurs over open water. For a tried-and-true line watcher, orange is hard to beat!

mojogunter

I just tried out suffix performance braid in Neon Orange, and I really like it. It is much easier to see than anything I else I have fished in the past.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I just tried out suffix performance braid in Neon Orange, and I really like it. It is much easier to see than anything I else I have fished in the past.

where did you find that?

mojogunter

I have an account through Rapala that I can buy from. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like. I’m not sure if you could buy it through this link or not.

web page

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Thanks! all I have been able to find is the Green colored Braid. I’d like to try the yellow and Orange.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Great picture, Jason. After seeing that and reading your post, I may need to give some of those other colors another chance.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Quote:

where did you find that?

Capra’s has it too Pier!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

In your testing Jason which line did you preffer. Been using suffix elite yellow but wondering what you might choose and why.

jhalfen

I used the Suffix elite yellow exclusively for a couple of years, and still have a number of reels spooled up with it.

Advantages: Very strong. Excellent knot strength. Very visible.

Disadvantages: not particularly manageable in sub-freezing temps. Significant memory.

Before that, I ran the Suffix siege tangerine. I liked that for its visibility, but it’s about the most stretchy line on the face of the earth.

I have more than half of my reels spooled up currently with the Cortland mono that Dean carries. It is VERY manageable in cold temps. It has reasonable knot strength, low stretch, and has fantastic visibility.

As I understand it, the Cortland line is manufactured by the same process that Cortland uses to make fly-fishing tippet, so the tolerances are very tight and the batch-to-batch differences are negligible. I’ve been very happy running it for the past 15 months or so.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

thank you for the info. I just like to change line fairly often. especialy after vertical jigging twists the line beyond repair. The only issue I have is the 300 yard spools for 6lb. I can’t get larger spools to do multiple rods and hate wasting line on every spool. I can get cortland on large spools but not sure to get orange or yellow. Currently using suffix elite yellow

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

All of my reels have the original line on the first 1/2 of the spool then I only replace the 100 or so that I am using, when I get close to the knot it’s time to add new line. That way I can put new line on 3 reels with a 300 yd spool.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.