Jetty Fishing Port Aransas Pass Texas

• letsgo

Hope to spend some time in January or February On Mustang Island Texas. The Aransas Pass Jettys are near there. I would like to try fishing from them. Wondering if anyone has done so and has any suggestions?

cagey
    Iowa-Tama county

I fished the Port A Jetty the last 2 winters. You will catch Big red fish, speckeled trout and a lot of sheephead.
    I used a med. spinning outfit and a med baitcasting outfit.
    A long (14 – 20 feet) rod is handy to fish sheephead in the rocks. Take a 12 hour charter out of the Dolphin Docks for a trip of a lifetime. You will catch shark, tuna, kingfish.and snappers.
    Ken

letsgo

Cagey, thanks for the reply. Now I am getting excited! In fact we are considering staying longer. Do you plan to go this year? This post may only be of interest to you and me, can e-mail me at [email protected] if so choose.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well at least 3 people have interest. I was in Austin last Febuary and planned to meet my cousin and neighbor at Port Aransas. While in Austin, the Capt called me and said the winds were too strong to take his 48 or 53′ boat out (can’t remember the size). But we could do some bay fishing. Then I had a family emergency and came home….never saw a boat…much less a fish!

In talking with many Capts down there, they were saying that it’s a crap shoot with the wind. The fishing is really good….IF you can get out.

Good Luck and post some pictures when you get back!

letsgo

Hey Beach Brian,, glad to see there is more interest in jetty fishing at Port Aransas. One of our sons and his family live in Houston and on a visit last winter he suggested a side trip to it. Because it seemed off the beaten path and we took a ferry to get to it. I thought it might be a “who cares” place,- as far as our freshwater forum goes. Good news is, I am wrong again. We stayed a week and it too was windy most days. But I talked to some locals and winter Texans who made it interesting and said that the wind does go down. So I talked my Norwegian snow loving wife into our first extended winter south-. I will take pictures, then need to figure out how to get them on line. Maybe a digital camera for Christmas?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From Houston to the coast…(side trip?)

Twice a year the company I work for has a national meeting. They like to move it around a bit. Feb isn’t the best time to fish anyplace they’ve sent us so far. A couple years ago it was held close to San Diago…you know “it never rains in Southern CA” ? We received more rain the day we went fishing than the did the whole year prior! BUT still fished the harbor and were able to take home 4 fish. Could have taken more..but didn’t want or need to. They have a naval base there and it was “odd” to see people dressed in black scooting around in a zodiac with shotguns. Get too close to a navy ship and the coast guard starts heading your way.
    In TX we were going to go out around 50 miles, there’s some type of contanentl ledge out there. Awsome fishing I hear…but as I said, never made it.
    Going to Charleston S C this February, and I’m checking on Redfish and trout fishing out there now.
    Well if you don’t get a digital camera and only have 20 or less pictures, I’ll offer my scanning services. I could do more if you don’t want them the next morning!
    I don’t know if your into bass, but fairly close to Houston they have some great bass fishing….but then you could do that around here.

When are you leaving?

letsgo

Brian, have to admitt, Houston to Aransas Pass, is quite a side trip. But I have to plead “all things are relative” after we drove from Minneapolis to Houston another four hours to see some salt water fishing; seemed normal. We did see a lot of miltary ships running a route away from the jetties. I was told they were mine sweepers clearing the area for troop and equipment ships heading for the build up. I also was interested in seeing they way the fishermen catch bait. They walk the shore near the water with PVC pipes with a plunger in side, when they see a small hole in the wet sand they suck up about 8 inches of sand and shoot it on beach, most often it exposed what
    they call a ghost shrimp,(about 3 to 4 inches long and white) which they picked up to use as bait on the jetty. They also pick urchins off the jetty rocks at water level. again that is bait. Yes I did hear of the Bass around Houston. In fact my son had fixed me up on a catch and release lake,(small and private about 15 acres) but he could not get off work and my spouse navigator wanted to play with grandkids instead so I opted out versus driving solo through Houston (we normally have one person with a finger on the map in that city). This was in June and had to fish early… as by 10:00 it would be too hot. The compromise is we plan to take a charter from Aransas pass if he comes to visit us there in winter.So it promises to be fun, but fact is, I really am looking forward to Spring on the Croix and Missipppi. You mentioned Austin, I was stationed in Fort Hood in 1955 and when we could, we piled 5 or 6 guys in a car and went to Barton Springs a large natural spring swimming area. As I remember it it could hold 2 to 3 hundred people- but that was a long time ago might be wrong. Swam all day and slept on our military air mattress under the trees at night. Bet that is not allowed or safe now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.