LED Lanterns

• .mnmike
    red wing, mn

I am interested in hearing any feedback from someone who has used these ice fishing. I would like to hear how long the batteries last, durability in cold weather, and also if they do an adequate job of illuminating portable houses with dark walls. I am just getting tired of buying mantles and propane tanks. Thanks for any comments,

Mikey

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Very interested in responses. If you have seen these in action, please reply.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Which one/s are you looking at? I use a Coleman light that has the “flourescent” looking bulb in it. Its OK for what I need.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

They had a pile of these little lamps at Wally World, I think they wanted $5.00 for it so I picked one up. It lights up the “test closet” pretty well, haven’t had it out on the ice yet. I figured for a fiver I could always throw it away if I had to

Kooty the one I got looks like a little minature coleman latern, except it has white LEDS in it. Runs on a few AA batteries and is pretty bright. And no *^&*%$%^#$^ Mantles!

Rootski

kruger
    Metro,mn

I have always used LED’s of some kind and loved them! The batteries dont seem to be afected by the cold if you dont let it sit out all night, but in the shack I have had zero problems with malfunctions. The only small problem that I had with the lantern style was it did not give enough lite off . So I went online and found what they call the “UFO” lite. It is a small disc looking shape and has about 25-30 small LED’s going around the rim {reeds had them at the ice show}. There is a clip on the top that lets it hang from the spaceing bars in the house, had it out this weekend and it worked 10 times better than a lantern on the ice, so bright you could hardly look at it! Just something you might want to take a look at!

Kruger

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

They work ok. From what I have used them, they work ok for just general lighting. Tieing baits on is difficult if you arent inside your shack. Just be sure to get one with a high number of led’s. The batteries hold up ok as long as you keep them inside and warm when not in use.

My .02

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve got a couple of the LED lanterns that Cabela’s sells, and they have been excellent. I haven’t used it ice fishing, but one has been in my truck for a couple years now, which is a very cold environment right now and last winter, and the batteries (4 D batteries) are still going strong. If you’ve got the remote, they’re great to hang from a tree and hit the remote when you’re finally in the tent, nothing like it. I think it’d work for ice fishing pretty well.

Here’s a link to it since I apparently am not able to figure out how to post a pic from the site.

jonathandeblieck
    quad cities, il

we had a rayovac guy do some training at my work for led lighting. the best one’s as far as light output are the single led fixtures with higher wattages. 1 watts about 45 lumins, 3 watt will be around 100 lumins. more leds don’t always mean more light.

beave
    MPLS

Quote:

I have always used LED’s of some kind and loved them! The batteries dont seem to be afected by the cold if you dont let it sit out all night, but in the shack I have had zero problems with malfunctions. The only small problem that I had with the lantern style was it did not give enough lite off . So I went online and found what they call the “UFO” lite. It is a small disc looking shape and has about 25-30 small LED’s going around the rim {reeds had them at the ice show}. There is a clip on the top that lets it hang from the spaceing bars in the house, had it out this weekend and it worked 10 times better than a lantern on the ice, so bright you could hardly look at it! Just something you might want to take a look at!

Kruger

I have the same “UFO” type LED. They work great. 3 settings and it has a hook on top to hang from the cross posts in my portable. FleetFarm now carries them in the ice fishing area for $7.99.

kooty
    Keymaster

Is this the UFO light you are talking about??

UFO

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Is this the UFO light you are talking about??

UFO

I got that exact one at Northern Tool last week. $10. Doesn’t seem like it’ll be terribly durable, but for $10, I don’t really care that much. Kicks off a lot of light!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I might have to stop by FF and get one. I could strap it to myself when I go to check the holes outside the house at night, too! Or maybe just get two of them at that price?

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m looking for one or two to mount to the inside of my Otter Monster Box. I will likely glue them to the inside of the lid. However, I’ll need to figure out a way to get at the batteries if the base is glued down.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Kooty,

Maybe these would work better for your application.

DOT it lights.

I’ve seen them at the Depot.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’m looking for one or two to mount to the inside of my Otter Monster Box. I will likely glue them to the inside of the lid. However, I’ll need to figure out a way to get at the batteries if the base is glued down.

The two pieces just twist apart (1/4 turn or so), so it’d not be a problem, Kooty.

kooty
    Keymaster

Sweet, I’m thinking a combo of these two lights will be perfect. Little guy/s, mounted up under the main cavity. One or two big ones on the lid luminating the box and surrounding area. I love garage logic sessions!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yeah, a good light for the guy stuck riding in the box is always a good idea, that way he can read the newest edition of Martha.

mrwalleye
    MN

Northern Tool has a 72 LED light by GRIP for $10 runs on 4 AA bats and is so bright it blinds you,
    it has 3 strong magnets on the back and a hook on the end,
    I dont know what the bat life is yet but I will let you know,

mrwalleye
    MN

6hours of night fishing and still going strong on the first set of AA’s

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.