Who remembers $1.00 a gallon gas?

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Who remembers $1.00 a gallon gas?

I do it was 30 years ago, I remember this because it was the year that I graduated from high school 1978. I was working at a local grocery store at the time and we all about had a fit when we saw them change the sign at the Amoco station across the street to a $1 a gallon.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

back in 1966-67 I worked at a Shell Oil station while going to a jr college in CA near where I grew up. super shell was .24 cents, and I could fill my ’65 Mustang for 3.00. I got the big raise to $2.00 an hour, and thought that was pretty darn good.

the classic muscle cars back then were the Shelby Cobras in 289 and 427. and Shelby Mustangs.
    you could see a 427 Cobra coming down the road from a mile away. Awesome.
    Jack

Art

Don’t remember for sure if it was summer of 66 or 67. Worked at gas station on north broadway in Rochester. It was owned by Scott Fritz. Sold gas for one day for tax only. .08 cents a gal. If gas got over .20 people would start complaining.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

the cheapest i have ever seen it is .99 it was right after a gasstation in my town burned to the ground and the whole time they were rebuilding it they had their gas at .99 i was pretty little then but i sure wouldnt mind it going that low for a while again. maybe then i could afford to ride in comfort driving my truck around and not the car.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I worked at a hamburger place as a cook for 80 cents an hour and bought my first car, 57 chevy two door with a stock 283 when I was 16 and a junior in high school. Gas was 17 cents then jumped to 19 cents and I too remember everybody complaining. Gas wars sometimes would force gas down to 15 cents. I remember going to Colorado in an old dodge I had and it cost under $20 to go there and back. I remember the dishes you used to get with a fill up. One plate, coffey cup or saucer with each fill up. A glass bottle of pop was a nickle when I was 10, then it went up to a dime when I was 15 with a 2 cents return on the bottle. All candy bars were 10 cents and a pack of Red Dot potato chips was a dime. At 80 cents an hour I bought all my clothes, filled my tank up on my car when I wanted too and 20 dollars was enough for food, beer and gas for the whole weekend. I almost forgot, during highschool Tom who was a friend of mine rented a one bedroom house with a kitchen and living room for $60 a month and it was a pretty nice place too.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

1968 — Acase of Buckhorn or Stite beer, a pack of Marlburos, and enough gas for the weekend with a 5 dollar bill.

wkw

Yep! Brookings,S.D. 1973. 6-pack of Buckhorn was .99 cents,
    pint of Everclear $2.00, and enough gas to get to Souix Falls and back about $5.00. WOW !! What a party !!!
    WKW

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Don’t remember for sure if it was summer of 66 or 67. Worked at gas station on north broadway in Rochester. It was owned by Scott Fritz. Sold gas for one day for tax only. .08 cents a gal. If gas got over .20 people would start complaining.

Small world Art I went to high school with Scott’s son Marty.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.