Terrell Owens compared Dogfighting to Deer Hunting

• davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

On Jim Rome yesterday he had a segment on T.O and how Terell Owens thinks dogfighting is the same as deer hunting. I wondering what kind of deerhunting T_O has been doing?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That’s just TO being TO. Looks like he’s found a reason to keep his name in the headlines.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

What an idiot. Dog fighting is a FELONY deer hunting is legal and most hunters take steps to make their kill a clean one. Putting food on the table and helping control the deer herd is quite close to raising dogs to kill each other and betting on it what a [censored].

bodlem

The real crime is they are breeding these dogs, not killing them (Pit bulls etc). It’s not like they are fighting labs

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

We will not tolerate personal attacks.

catmando
    wis

The man hasn’t a clue.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

We will not tolerate personal attacks.

Really? I’m sorry if I offended anyone but I thought we had thicker skin around here than that.

But, hopefully this response can be said w/o being dusted.

Pit bulls are not bad dogs, just some of them have bad owners. Just in the same ways that guns don’t kill people. The person shooting the gun is a killer. I get upset when people take the knee jerk reaction of all pit bulls should be killed. Very popular legislation right now is breed specific. In other words, local laws prohibiting anyone from owning a “pit bull type” dog. If you don’t believe me, do a google search on breed specific legislation. This should enrage people on this site just like gun control. It’s the same thing. Most people who have this attitude have never even meet a pit bull. Their entire opinion is based off what is reported in the media. I own one, and know a dozen pit bulls. They all make the absolute best family dogs. The only dog that I’ve ever met that’s bit a person is a black lab.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Really? I’m sorry if I offended anyone but I thought we had thicker skin around here than that.

I am sure the SC will rain down their wrath on me for my opinion. But, the thick skin has shriveled up. Don’t voice your opinion if it differs from a certain few Sad but true

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Pit bulls are not bad dogs, just some of them have bad owners. Just in the same ways that guns don’t kill people. The person shooting the gun is a killer.

Comparing a living being to an inanimate object? not quite sure how you make the connection. It takes a person to pull the trigger… where as dogs CAN be unpredictable regardless of their upbringing.

I got a puppy from my wife as a house-warming present. It was half white shepard, quarter rotweiller, quarter husky. It was the most beautiful dog you have ever seen. I raised it with love and obedience. It would mind me and my family to a T. But when ANYONE came around, she was extremely vicious. We tried to train her to not be so protective… but no matter what we did, she would lunge at anyone who would make any quick movements. She had it in her blood… she was a down right vicious dog. And there was NOTHING in her upbringing that would have made her that way. She never bit anyone… but it wasn’t due to not trying. She would try and tear apart her kennel to attack visitors we had. When in the house, she would have tail between the legs, ears back and hair up… and would stand there and not let the visitor move. There were a few times where we caught her collar in time to prevent what would have been a serious attack.

Certain dogs have been bred to be vicious. And it is next to impossible to determine if a dog has that in its bloodline. Pitbulls are seen as vicious animals for one reason… and that is history. If it were true that it is only because people have trained them this way, then why do we not hear of other dog breeds being trained. It is because this breed is known for being best at it.

Note: I am not for specific breed legislation.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

One other thing. I had a roommate once that aquired a golden retreiver. Golden Retreivers are known for being AWESOME dogs. This one, like my dog above, was vicious. So my point is that ALL dogs have it in them to be vicious killers. The risk comes in having one that has THAT in them as well as being a breed that is GOOD at it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure the SC will rain down their wrath on me for my opinion. But, the thick skin has shriveled up. Don’t voice your opinion if it differs from a certain few Sad but true

Sorry Mike but that could not be farther from the truth, did you see chamberschamps original post? It was not his opinion that we objected to it was the way he replied to Huntinglabs that we objected to, had his first reply been what he posted in his second reply his post never would have been touched. Everyone is welcome to voice there opinion here as long as you do not belittle someone for there reply in the process.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

In fact, yes I did see Jake’s original post
    The fact remains, he was censored for his beliefs while the other guy was allowed to slam on pit bulls because he doesn’t like them. Fair? Not in my opinion.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I was the one who dusted the original post for one reason and one reason only which I already stated. If I had dusted it for his beliefs I would have also dusted his second reply. We do not have any rules here about slamming on Pit Bulls but we do have rules on slamming on other members.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Pit bulls are not bad dogs, just some of them have bad owners. Just in the same ways that guns don’t kill people. The person shooting the gun is a killer.

Comparing a living being to an inanimate object? not quite sure how you make the connection. It takes a person to pull the trigger… where as dogs CAN be unpredictable regardless of their upbringing.

I’m sorry, any criminal could take a gun and shoot someone… anyone could take most any pit bull and it would lick them. Pit bulls are not bred to be human aggresive, if you research their bred history you’d see why…

Although I don’t know the exact numbers, I would wager my last dollar that I am MUCH more likely to be killed by the guns in my house than by my dog.

Yes, a pit bull is capable of doing much more damage than a schnauzer. A Chevy Suburban will do much more damage to me than a Geo Metro in an accident. Should we make them illegal? In fact, the risk of dying from an accident is much better than a dog attack. How many people die (or get hurt) a year from pit bull attacks compared to car accidents.

Yes, dogs are unpredictble. All dogs. They’re like people. Some are just bad, regardless of “breed”. Most people will never hurt anyone. But some will. Some people are more capable of really hurting someone too, just like dogs. I really don’t understand this prejudice. Have you really ever met a well trained pit bull, or do you just base your opinion on what you read in the paper?

Waterloo, IA

No malice intended here Chambers, but I beg to differ with you on the vicious nature of Pit Bulls. We had a neighbor with a Pit Bull named Barney. He seemed like a rather peaceful dog until one day when he attacked my 2yr. old grandson through the backyard fence. I heard Brady screeming from the backyard and ran out to see what the problem was. Barney had already torn the sleeve off of his coat and had his snoot through the fence and had ahold of the rest of his coat, visiously tearing and slashing at it, with my precious grandson in it! I ran up and pulled Brady away as fast as I could. Brady had several abrashions and a pretty bad bite mark on his arm.

The neighbors are good friends, and we never held them responsible for any damages. They paid for Brady’s Dr. bills without asking. Everyone was just shocked that Barney would attack anyone like that. At best we could figure is that Brady stuck his hand through the fence to try to “pet the doggie”, and that somehow set Barney off.

I didn’t ask them to, but they put Barney down the next day. I know it was hard for them because they loved Barney. I’m a firm believer that these breeds of dogs should be eradicated, as they have a vicious nature that can emerge at any time. I’m sorry that some people have adopted them as pets, and agree most of them are good dogs. They just have an inbred vicious streak that you just can’t predict when or if it will emerge. Barney was a peaceful dog as far as I knew, up until this time. He loved being scratched behind his ears. I did it myself many times and all he did was hang his tong out and tilt his head back indicating he liked it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

chamberchamps-No matter what you say, even backed up by proven facts, most people’s minds are already made up and will never be changed. The media has more to do with that than anything. Sure the pits are known to be aggressive, but they are not all like that. I have been around many pits on both ends of the spectrum. My sister had one that was as gentle as any holy black lab. But, I have also been around several that were TRAINED to be very aggressive. As you may have noticed I said those dogs were TRAINED to be this way. So, for all that blame the dog-Is it truely the dog or the MASTER of the dog who is at fault? I am pretty damn sure I could take the beloved labs and turn it into a teeth barring, growling, menace to society just as easily as a pit. That can be said for any domestic animal. People are the same way as chambers has mentioned. On any given day, even the calmest of people are capable of attacking and hurting or killing another person. A lot of factors come into play more than the breed name

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I think what he is saying is that a Pit inherantly has in it’s being that it can be a “Bad Dog.” A lab has to be trained to be a “Bad Dog.”
    I could be wrong.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I’m just about done here.

I guess it’s like trying to convince a chevy guy to go ford. My time is better served rescuing another pit bull from the needle. I thought for a rights driven group, I’d get more support for personal responsibility. But I was wrong. Guess we will blame the SUV/dog/gun and anything else we can point the finger at. Protect me from what can harm me or my family, because I cannot do it myself.

The pit bull and american bulldog are considered the All American Dog. Farm dog. Watch dog. Pete from the little rascals. Very sad to see that gone…

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

I heard Brady screeming from the backyard and ran out to see what the problem was.

Gramps, no malice taken or intended, but why was your 2 yr old grandson out in the back yard w/o supervision? That’s barely old enough to walk. What if he found some “tasty” nightshade berries? My child (or grandchild) would not be sticking his body parts thru a fence with a dog on the other side. Like I said before, dogs are unpredictable.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

http://www.dogexpert.com

Quote:

The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

There is a mountain of evidence to show that certain breeds are much more dangerous as a whole than others. Greyhounds have been bred to run fast, hounds to scent trails and some species, like rots and pits, have been bred for personal protection or as fighting dogs.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Quote:

I heard Brady screeming from the backyard and ran out to see what the problem was.

Gramps, no malice taken or intended, but why was your 2 yr old grandson out in the back yard w/o supervision? That’s barely old enough to walk. What if he found some “tasty” nightshade berries? My child (or grandchild) would not be sticking his body parts thru a fence with a dog on the other side. Like I said before, dogs are unpredictable.

You seriously can’t say the kid can’t be in the back yard unsupervised. I blink and my two year old is out of my sight. So it’s my fault or the kid’s fault for being innocent and wanting to pet the puppy. I was with you up til that point. I’m against pits more than anyone, but I’m trying to keep an open mind an learn something from this.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

There are no killer dogs! Dogs are not born killers nor do they choose to be killers. What we are seeing in the news with the recent rash of canine violence is the tragic outcome of humans who own dogs, but do not know how to properly fulfill the needs of man’s best friend.

We can prevent dog attacks by understanding dog psychology. Dog owners, the public and especially the professionals charged with issues of public safety can live harmoniously with canines through proper care and communication with the animals.

I have proven that this is indeed true.

– Cesar Millan

FRIVERS2

I really appreciate your comments and tend to agree with you completely. But James also mentioned something worth noting. Simply stated some breeds are more defensive then others, and can obviously do more damage. In the 1970’s my Ex broguht home a Pit Bull from a guy that bred them in Minnesota. He was moving in a few months and she got the dog for nothing. The dog, named Junior, was perfect. However, my 2 year old daughter used to jump on his back from the davenport. My thought was, if this dog gets mad, just once, I may have a dead child. So I made her take the dog back.

Recently, I got a German Shepherd and my Ex a Chow who had been returned to the Milwaukee Humane Society 3X because of aggression. My neighbors have two Pit Bulls and they behave perfectly. All these breeds have been great. The Chow, so mild he almost acts like an over weight 12 year cat.

However, all these breeds can do a lot of damage, so when my GSD dog Timber was getting a bit to feisty a friend and well renowed dog expert simply said the following:

“You have a German Shepherd Dog bred along European lines, not a lab. Timber is defensive, not aggressive, and will always be like that. He is not a welcoming committee like some dogs are. German Shepherds do not like everyone, especially strangers.”

My point is all dogs are fine; however, if we own one of the larger breeds, additional care is needed.

Regarding Pit Bulls, I tend to believe from my experience they are actually less likely to bite then a German Shepherd, assuming they are not trained to be vicious.

I also owned a Jack Russell Terrier, again a gift from the Ex. That little sucker would bite about anything that moved, including much larger dogs, but obviuosly could not inflict the damage a larger dog could.

Finally, regarding the 2 year old. The guy that wrote is simply responsible for what happened. Like AM mentioned if I say more about this person the entire post will be deleted.

For Steve, please lighten up a bit when it comes to deleting posts.

FRIVERS2

I was not going to response 2X in a row, but you are right. This site, in many cases has refused to allow differing opinions — how sad.

As for the Pit Bull thing the original poster got blasted, but apparently one of his comments was deleted while others were allowed to criticize him.

Finally, the videos provided, that Shelby guy, clearly are biased and indicate the reporter knows nothing about dogs.

Perhaps a valid reason, perhaps not.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Watson… you can say anything you want here as long as you don’t attack other members. We’ve even been known to tolerate excessive whining.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I was not going to response 2X in a row, but you are right. This site, in many cases has refused to allow differing opinions — how sad.

As for the Pit Bull thing the original poster got blasted, but apparently one of his comments was deleted while others were allowed to criticize him.

Finally, the videos provided, that Shelby guy, clearly are biased and indicate the reporter knows nothing about dogs.

Perhaps a valid reason, perhaps not.

Complete nonsense. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever is censored for sharing an opinion. We don’t care what your position is… just don’t personally attack other members. I read, then re-read this thread. The original poster wasn’t “hammered” for his position by anyone. People disagreed. We actually encourage that. The one post that was deleted was a direct attack against another member and was not a thoughtfully stated position in disagreement. The poster was allowed to restate his position in a follow-up post. That in itself should show where we draw the line with our moderating of this board.

We do not censor opinions. Ever. We delete with some ruthlessness any post made that attacks any of our members.

See the difference?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

There are no killer dogs! Dogs are not born killers nor do they choose to be killers. What we are seeing in the news with the recent rash of canine violence is the tragic outcome of humans who own dogs, but do not know how to properly fulfill the needs of man’s best friend.

We can prevent dog attacks by understanding dog psychology. Dog owners, the public and especially the professionals charged with issues of public safety can live harmoniously with canines through proper care and communication with the animals.

I have proven that this is indeed true.

– Cesar Millan

Back to the thread at hand…

I really enjoy Cesar’s show and I admit I have learned alot about dog behavior from watching how he interacts with the animals. That guy has an understanding of dog behavior that few of us will ever hope to obtain… yet I’ve seen him bit several times in his shows.

Even the most highly experience professionals aren’t able to control the interaction with animals 100% of the time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.