Bats

• papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Last year we bought this house in Grand Island Ne. We noticed a bat flying around outside at night. As summer turned to winter we had forgot about this bat.Last night said bat showed up in the daughters bedroom so I guess I might have to hell I dont know what to do about these (the one in the house is not a problem ) its getting rid of any other ones there might be. Thanks in advance

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can go into your attic on a bright sunny day and look for daylight coming in anywhere it isn’t supposed to and make notes as to where they are. Then go on the outside and block those entrances with whatever is needed to close them off. Most of the time caulk will solve the problem. Sometimes something larger will be needed. Keep in mind that a bat only needs about 1/4″ opening to gain entrance.

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, there are people you can hire to remedy this problem.

In any event, good luck with the project. Bats are on my “short List” of things I dislike most.

col._klink
    St Paul

Try caulking some steel wool in the hole. Bats wont get in and if a squirrel trys to eat his way in well then……………one less squirrel

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Bats are nice to have around. They eat an incredible amount of insects. Provide a place for them to live and they will stay out of the house. Google “Bat Houses”.

-J.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Here is another IDA thread on bats.

web page

waterfowler99
    Midwest

do you live in the country? If so do the following–
    1. get a yard, pump up style sprayer
    2. fill it w/ diesel fuel
    3. call a freind that is a great wing-shooter
    4. spray infested area/entrance hole with fuel
    5. shoot the bats w/ #6 low brass 2-3/4 shot when they make there escape
    6. take photo of your bats when done and send it in to bat weekly

chappy
    Hastings, MN

When Clarence and I were kids,and a bat got in…..He didn’t get back out! Dad used a tennis Racket or Badmitton racket and bounced them off a wall! One time My other brother Paul and I shared a room with slanted walls, Dad wrapped the bat off the wall and landed about 2″ from his head!Had a hard time sleeping that night with all the laughing I was doing! I think I was about 6 or 7 Years old.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I agree with Jon…..bat house in the yard…..
    They really chow down on the bugs

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

First, know the laws. I am pretty sure it is illegal to kill bats at random.

Most have started you off in the right direction. During daylight hours, go into the attic and see if you have any bats in there. But, remember, they could be in places you can’t see. Tell tale sign will be bat guano on the floor, insulation, or whatever you may have in the attic. Next, you need to find all the access points they could be getting in the house. You will then need to seal all but ONE of the openings. Once you have all but one hole sealed, you will need to purchase or make a bat exclusion door to fit over the remaining open hole. In the evening when the bats make their way out to feed, they will be unable to re-enter due to the exclusion door. Basically the exclusion door is a one way door, they can get out but can’t return. After a couple nights, go out in the evening and watch to see if any more bats come from your house. If not, then you can remove the exclusion door and seal up the hole. If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a PM

chappy
    Hastings, MN

“First, know the laws. I am pretty sure it is illegal to kill bats at random.”

He’s right……Sorry Mr.Bat! Now Stay outta my house Or I’ll kill the rest of you too!

We sure as Hell wern’t going to chase him around trying to catch him!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You could just talk to them nicely and ask them to leave

I should clarify, I am talking about the ones that are flying around outside not posing a threat

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Bats are nice to have around, when im done remodeling im going to put a bathouse on the end of the house. Thier nice to have around for mosquitoes. Bats are stuck with a bad rap but thier real benificial. Like Jon says look into building a bat house, they’ll go there instead of your house if they have a place to (hang out)!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

. Like Jon says look into building a bat house, they’ll go there instead of your house if they have a place to (hang out)!

That’s baaaad!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Bats

I have lived in, and grown up in so many farm houses the last 30yrs of my life…..you wantn’ talk bats

The fastest way to dispose of a bat; watch his flight pattern and scoop him into your fish net, then a flick of the wrist will have him screeching and wrapped up for a walk out side.

To prevent bats; yea , yea, seal everything up but, if you live around mature trees put up a bat house it will help They really don’t want to be in your house, believe me they would rather be outside! They are looking for some habitat. Having a bird bath helps but, even better, a fountain of some sort which we all know attracts a lot of birds too.

Bats are a healthy critter to have around. With that said…..back in my teen days Does anyone or has anyone remember bat whompin’ nights with a ¼ oz jig and cane pole?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The only thing I know for sure about bats is that they can’t pick up 80 pound Power Pro with their radar.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

The only thing I know for sure about bats is that they can’t pick up 80 pound Power Pro with their radar.

and they get the heart going when the pole does a dance

roscoe
    So St Paul

What to do with bats ? Let them watch THE GREAT OUTDOORS , with John Candy and Dan Akroyd, maybe they will get the hint and just leave.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.