Favorite (and least) fishing shows of all time

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Almost all the old shows in the early 80’s were good. I think that the in fisherman shows were all good. Virgil ward goes way back with American Sportman with Curt Gowdy, you older guys remember that, a show with class no matter who you were and top notch by far. Babe Winkleman and Bill Dance were top shows then and Roland Martin for fishing bass in the south. Tony Dean for upper midwest fishing was second to none too, I really enjoyed his Dakotas reports during the colder seasons, he always had a good nature to his shows making you feel you wanted to drive out there right then to fish or hunt that spot. I know everybody here agrees that good fishing shows don’t have a place for too much commercial advertising, it ruins the shows thats why i don’t watch them as soon as i figure them out.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Sounds like I’m in the minority here; but I thought Virgil’s show made fishing look boring. And the hopping jigs in the aquarium at the end of the show every week…..

dd

shayla

Quote:

Sounds like I’m in the minority here; but I thought Virgil’s show made fishing look boring. And the hopping jigs in the aquarium at the end of the show every week…..

dd

I think it’s the nostalgia of Virgil Ward that we all like moreso than the show itself….afterall, how many guys go to “world reknown Lake Oahe, known for it’s giant pike and walleye, however, today we will be fishing for the scrappy white bass from the deck of our pontoon”. How many of you remember that episode???? I remember running home from Sunday School, changing into my play-clothes, expecting another great afternoon of fishing shows, only to be let-down with that one! Even Sunday School couldn’t keep me from saying “what the hell…” when that one aired!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I missed that one Slip. When i was talking about Bill Dance and Roland Martin i was talking about thier earlier shows that were mostly fishing, after awhile they got too comercialized, i never did see Tony Dean get too comercialized though.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.