Spring Fishing? Early morning or afternoon.

• yeti
    Alma, Wi

My job leaves me working the graveyard shift, and then some.
    The weekend comes, and my fishin’ buddies are wanting to go in the early morning.(sunrise). I have had very good luck in the afternoon. The water is warmer, the bass tournament weigh in is at 3:00,and the frustrated fisherman seem to leave at 4:00. I have always seemed to have better luck in the afternoon and into early evening. Late afternoon into early evening the water is a little bit warmer and the frustrated ones go to the bar. Remember this is a spring time pattern.

Any ideas or suggestsions for the night shifters out there!

Good fishing to all!
    I’m back out!
    Yeti

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Yeti,

I’m with you on this one. I prefer fishing afternoons and evenings for the same reasons–warmer temps (water and air) and fewer fishermen on the water. It also helps because you avoid the mid-day sun which is sometimes a turn-off to fish.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Any ideas or suggestsions for the night shifters out there!

You could quit working all together and fish whenever you want.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

when i’m out in the boat, more often than not, its all day long. I catch fish all day long, but it usually takes a couple hours in the morning to figure it out. I catch most of my fish from 10:30-8:30 this time of year. early morning never seems to be as good as its said to be….In my honest opinion, if you want to fish for one or two hours, and catch the most fish possible in that time, i suggest you hit the water at 7 PM and stay til 8:30-8:45. i know thats after sunset, but some of the best fishing happens when you can barely tell where you are casting. Check out my bass report from the other night. We were fishing for an hour and i caught 3 bass and a northern, two of the bass were real nice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

“Fish would be bigger if fisherman had longer arms”

Cheer up Cade. As you get older your arms will grow longer and that means your fish will get longer too.
    Thanks, Bill

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good Analogy Bill, i agree, some say my fish have gotten bigger over the years, some real big but they haven’t. Once in awhile i walk buy that wall plaque that says all fishermen are liars except me and you and sometimes i wonder about you, I get a little nervous when reading it but i know its not talking about me, I always tell the truth and always will! Hey Bill let me tell you about those fish i caught last late summer right in the center of the dog days, It was storming like hel- and the water was lower than it had been in years, I was down to my last nightcrawler and my pole was broke by a fish i just got, ah well ah etc.

2Fishy4U

Early morning for Walleyes. If were the first ones out we always seem to get a few nice ones trolling spots in the early morning.

Regarding Bass, I prefer the late afternoon bite

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I suck at spring fishing.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

In the spring, afternoons works better for me. Warmer water temps can really turn on the panfish.

Ron

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Not sure if it was jsut me or the fish but This weekend the day I was out in the afternoon the fish seemed allot more active and we caught more fish then we did the next day going out in the morning. Later in the summer I like the early and late bite to them walleyes and bass

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.