Wolf shot in southern Wisconsin

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Just got off phone with Adrian Wyneven, WDNR wildlife guy. He confirms “a large canid was shot near Edgerton and Rock River in Rock county on 1/14. This is PROBABLY a wolf-dog hybrid and not a pure wolf…investigating genetics now”
    Animal weighed over 80 lbs.–shot by ‘yotee hunters.
    I can understand a Wolf near the Wolf River…or even near the Fox River. But near the Rock / What’s next, dogs and cats living together?

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

If I’m not mistaken,there was an article in the St.Paul Pioneer Press several years ago about a documented wolf pack inhabiting the Black River bottoms.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

If I recall correctly (and if I am wrong please correct me – like that wouldn’t happen on this site ) a wolf was hit by a car on I-94 between madison and milwaukee a number of years ago. I was an young male and they believe it wandered down here to look for new territory.

So it wouldn’t be the first time wolves were seen in S. WI.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

A wolf was hit by a car in Middleton (suburb of Madison) about two years ago. The DNR said it was a pure wolf, and did not appear to have been a pet. Seems like a wolf shows up down south every couple years.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I had also heard about a radio tagged female wolf that was hit by a car near Portage probably 8 to 10 years ago. Portage is just north of Madison. I think the wolf and bear population in Wisconsin is spreading. Bears are seen somewhat regularily down in the Dodgeville area of SW Wisconsin. One was hit by a car up there a few springs ago on Hwy 18. Occasionally we have had bear sightings in NE Iowa as well.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

“Wolf shot in southern Wisconsin”
    That’s a good start

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Yeah they trapped a bear in Wauwatosa, (small village in milwaukee) last year. Another migrant looking for a home.

dusters84
    Janesville Wi

I got a picture of a bear on the trail cam in Buffalo County.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive heard of bear reports in n.e. Iowa over the years too. A few years ago they had a moose that had been living in southern iowa for a few years. A few of the township papers covered which farms is was on that week. They’ve sighted a few red wolves in southern iowa over the years too, i’ll bet theres quite a few more animals than a guy thinks, especially if theres a female and a male in any of those areas.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I once trapped a bear – worst marriage I ever had!

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

…so i traded her for a dog, then shot the dog!

—Mark Twain

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.