Cooking a Trout

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Grandson caught a 12″ rainbow from the fish tank at the Ice Fishing show last weekend. I gutted it and cut the head off and am going to cook it up for him tonight, but don’t know how. Bake, fry? Any suggestions? Thanks.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

As with anything, you cant go wrong to fry it in butter. Butter makes the world better

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Wrapped it in tinfoil with butter, lemon slice and sprinkle with basil and pepper. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min or until meat flakes off bone… mmmmm

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

When I’ve eaten trout I just gutted them, left the head on, and rolled them in flour and fried them in butter. The reason you leave the head on is that if your carefull, the rib bones are more likely to stay attached to the spine when you eat the fish. Just a word of warning………… the fish might taste like liver, being caught at a sport show. All those trout are from trout farms that feed liver pellets. You can tell what it’s going to taste like before you cook it by the color of the meet of the fish. If the meat is white it was liver fed. If you like liver, you’ll probably like the taste of that fish.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

After reading your lutey buffet post I was mistaken. Soak that trout in motor oil, boil it in gas, leave it in the sun for 4 days, and then fry it in butter.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Bake in white wine and little onion and lemon do not eat right away chill overnite then nuke next day

clintm
    mazeppa mn

put lemon pepper on it and grill it on low heat

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Well, Putz, how did you cook the trout and how did it turn out?

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I tried Derek’s recipe since it was simple and I had the ingredients. It was actually pretty good. That was my first time putting basil on fish and it worked well. Might try that on one of my lake trout. Thanks, Derek.

I’ll have to agree with RKD-Jim though. The tank trout isn’t quite like a wild one.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

So Putz, what you are saying is that you can actually enjoy a fish not soaked in drain cleaner?

Let me see…Basil…..Drano….?????
    I’ll take the weeds…

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Come on Putz! We all know that you caught the trout. Picture says it all.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Good one, Tony.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

So Putz, what you are saying is that you can actually enjoy a fish not soaked in drain cleaner?

Let me see…Basil…..Drano….?????
    I’ll take the weeds…

He washed it down with a mixture of Schnapps and Liquid Plumber!

smsmith
    Wisconsin

Here’s the best recipe for trout I can think of-cut off the head, remove the guts, and blood vein. Dredge in flour, dip in egg, dredge in italian bread crumbs, panfry until the coating is crispy. Scrape the coating off and eat it, throw away the trout.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sounds like my spoonbill recipe!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

mmmm spoonbill. The bill is great for dippin in dips..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.