Your Favorite 6lb test fishing line

• ksdog
    Marion, Ks.

Looking for a decent 6lb test line for casting a jigging for walleyes. Was wondering what you walleye guys like to use.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

For jig pitching:
    Trilene Sensation works good for mono. I’m very impressed with the performance. The hi-vis stuff is great for the river and pitching jigs.

For cranks and bladebaits/vertical jigging:
    I will only go with Spiderwire or Spiderwire stealth. I’m not a “fireline” fan…….Frays, gets fuzzy, and fades terrible……..Plus, it doesn’t hold the same sentitivity and strength as Spiderwire.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yup… exactly what Gary said. The Sensation Solar can be hard to find (Fleetfarms in MN and WI seem to be a good source for it) but it offers much better cold weather performance than Iron Silk.

Quote:

For jig pitching:
    Trilene Sensation works good for mono. I’m very impressed with the performance. The hi-vis stuff is great for the river and pitching jigs.

For cranks and bladebaits/vertical jigging:
    I will only go with Spiderwire or Spiderwire stealth. I’m not a “fireline” fan…….Frays, gets fuzzy, and fades terrible……..Plus, it doesn’t hold the same sentitivity and strength as Spiderwire.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I use Trilene Sensation and Trilene XL for casting and vertical jigging. I used Spiderwire Fusion for vertical jigging for several years but went back to using mono. For some reason my hook set rate was higher using mono. I do use Spiderwire Fusion for running 3-way rigs. I run it down to the 3-way swivel and then use mono for my long line and drop line. For verical jigging I like 6 to 8 Lb test mono. I use 8Lb and heavier on my 3-way drop line and long line. I just had too-many fish break the long line when using 6Lb test. I like Fusion line better than Fireline. Basically it is the same type of line but I have found that Fusion keeps it’s coating much longer and doesn’t fray quite as easy. I use 6Lb diameter Fusion which is 12Lb test? I also use fusion to pull/cast crankbaits. I use both fiberglass and flexible graphite rods when fishing crankbaits with Fusion. The line doesn’t stretch so you will need a pole with a little give. I don’t lose nearly as many crankbaits to snags with Fusion as I did using mono.
    Fishing the Mississippi I try to stay with 8Lb test line or higher. I lost one too-many large fish on 6Lb test line a few years ago so I switched to 8Lb test.

Eyehunter

shaneedwards
    MN USA

I have actually been having good luck with iron silk. this is my second season using it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Now you got me worried because I just bought and spooled Iron Silk in hi-vis green on my pitching rod Is it really bad or just not as good as Sensation? I looked all over for Sensation except the Farm & Fleet in Onalaska

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive used berkely xl for 20 years now. Ive tried xt but its just not as soft and even though it has less stretch i go with the xl. If someone here at the site can suggest a better line i’d spool it once and try it. I use to use 6 pound all the time and now spool with 4lb and is about all i use. With lighter jigs and feeling the hit and control on the bottom i like 4 lb.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Spider Wire Braided or Fireline

jldii

Berkley Sensation Low Vis Green.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I use a variety of lines, depending on presentation. I use 10# fireline high vis for vertical jigging, and occasionally for pitching jigs. Depending on structure for pitching, I sometimes use 8# high vis Stren in less snaggy conditions.
    I am giving 30#/6# diameter power pro a shot this year for long line trolling as well as vertical jigging and 3 ways.
    I beleive the newer fireline holds shape and texture much better than the past product, but I fished for years with the “old” product. Cut off the end few feet from time to time, and respool the line in reverse order once a year, I fished two years with the same line and caught more fish than I ever did with mono. Extreme sensativity coupled
    with small diameter helped me use smaller jig heads, feel bites much better, and feel bottom texture and transitions so much better than the very best mono. Toughest thing for me was learning to shorten and soften my hook set to accomodate the no-stretch line.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.