Yamaha starting and idle help

• tr
    Plymouth

calling an yammy owners, 150 HP 4 stroke that is.
    so last night we were out looking for muskies in the shallows and when moving spots the old girl ( 3 yrs old) didn’t want to start, so we kept trying, finally I had to give it more throttle in the idle position, it took a bit but we got it going. we were aslo nervous it would keep happening. so we left the lake. once at home dog ears on in the driveway it seemed to start and idle just fine.
    have any of you had any strange idling issues and or starting issues like this before?? your help is much appreciated as we don’t want any problems for the Muskie opener.
    thank you for your help

kroger3
    blaine mn

Was the primer bulb hard or soft after it died?

Check if you have a water separator filter somewhere between the motor and tank and check for loose fittings or plugs on it.

I had loose fittings on mine on the tank side of the filter and after extended idling it would die because there was an air leak and the motor would drain the fuel from the filter but was not enough draw at idle to overcome the air leak and the filter would just draw air into it. At higher rpms it could overcome the air leak and keep the filter full of fuel.

Maybe bad karma looking for skis before the season????

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

My 50 hates old gas and loose battery cables.

tr
    Plymouth

Kroger3 thank you for the tips I will check those tonight. I did check the separator but I think I should go over it again. much appreciated

Karma is right, just hope it doesn’t effect fishing on Saturday.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Seafoam and / or check chock
    linkage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.