Propane

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Wow… .just at a loss for words. Prices of propane skyrocketing! My last fill in December… cost be about $550 for 250 gals. I think it was around 2.30 per gal. Called for another fill… after this COLD weather we are having, we are buring through a bit more than normal. They are now at 4.41 per gallon. a 200 gal fill gonna cost me more than twice what I paid a year ago. almost $900. I could almost have filled my whole tank for that last year.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

That is why some of us pre-buy for the season…cheap insurance.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

It certainly is making urea (nitrogen corn fertilizer) way more expensive. It has gone up over $100.00 per ton since last fall. `

Zach H

I haven’t filled a 20# tank since the jump. Is it going to skyrocket for them too? I cant imagine that it wouldn’t change. I wonder how much it is going to cost to fill one of these?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Around here, you are lucky to be able to get any.

FDR

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

I haven’t filled a 20# tank since the jump. Is it going to skyrocket for them too? I cant imagine that it wouldn’t change. I wonder how much it is going to cost to fill one of these?

Yup, pretty much doubled in price. The guy in front of me at the gas station yesterday paid $40 for his.

carver
    West Metro

ya not fun. At the farm just filled with 4.8 per gal on both tanks however……good buy $1600.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Think you might want to seriously look at a high efficient furnace. They make them around 96% efficient for L.P.

Or you could look into a heat pump system which would be replacing your A\C outdoor unit and indoor coil. You can run them at pretty low temp to save on fuel.

I installed one for a neighbor at my dad’s lake place and they couldn’t be happier with it. It is kind of like a secondary heat source. In their case the heat pump is primary heat and the electric heat (or L.P. In your case) is secondary. You put in a outdoor sensor and hook it to the thermostat and it will shut the heat pump down and lock it out till the temp is good and the other heat source will run.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

heard there was a propane explosion somewhere in canada and now are asking people to turn there furnaces down to 60 degrees so preserve propane.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

I’m guessing $25 – $30

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

heard there was a propane explosion somewhere in canada and now are asking people to turn there furnaces down to 60 degrees so preserve propane.

That was NG not propane. I’m affected

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Quote:

That was NG not propane. I’m affected

OK thanks for the correction!!!!!!!

mojogunter

I just filled a 20 lbs tank for $11. Hasn’t jumped here yet.

Quote:

Quote:

I’m guessing $25 – $30

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Think you might want to seriously look at a high efficient furnace. They make them around 96% efficient for L.P.

Or you could look into a heat pump system which would be replacing your A\C outdoor unit and indoor coil. You can run them at pretty low temp to save on fuel.

I installed one for a neighbor at my dad’s lake place and they couldn’t be happier with it. It is kind of like a secondary heat source. In their case the heat pump is primary heat and the electric heat (or L.P. In your case) is secondary. You put in a outdoor sensor and hook it to the thermostat and it will shut the heat pump down and lock it out till the temp is good and the other heat source will run.

I actually do have a heat pump… but it is worthless below about 25 degrees… The one we have will try sapping heat out of the air… and then switch to furnace if it isn’t keeping up. But once it hits the temp set on the thermostat… next time it kicks on… it starts with the heat pump again. This means… with these sub-zero temps… it never keeps up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My gas company is rationing right now. They wont even come to our cabin until it hits 20% and will only sell 100 gallons at a time. They said prices could start dropping in a couple weeks.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Prices are double right now for one reason. Farmers had to use dryers this past fall due to the late Spring as crops were not fully mature (thus not fully dried…). This was the case across our country so reserves on propane were used up. From there it’s a simple supply/demand equation. Supply low so prices go up to slow demand…RR

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Maybe the electric baseboard heaters instead of propane furnace weren’t such a bad idea after all…..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Maybe the electric baseboard heaters instead of propane furnace weren’t such a bad idea after all…..

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

its what I got……and love it!!!!!!!!!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Certainly the corn dryers used plenty of propane, but from what I’ve heard from a guy who trucks & sells propane, they’re is no shortage of propane.

Just a shortage of trucks hauling it up here from Kansas & Texas depots.

The government is starting to look into the supply/price problem. We’ll see what comes out of all this. Most likely, nothing….

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Quote:

Prices are double right now for one reason. Farmers had to use dryers this past fall due to the late Spring as crops were not fully mature (thus not fully dried…). This was the case across our country so reserves on propane were used up. From there it’s a simple supply/demand equation. Supply low so prices go up to slow demand…RR

It’s the main reason but there are a few others as well.
    Propane jumps to record prices

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve been doing a budget program at the cabin where it locks you in for a yearly price and you pay an estimated monthly charge based on previous years usage. This year I forgot to renew by the deadline. I called the gas company about a week late and they still let me in the program. At the time, I didn’t think it was that big of a deal.

My neighbor forgot to renew too and just blew it off. He was really bummed about it this past weekend. He has a great big heated garage in addition to his cabin. He said he just filled his tank for just under 5.00 per gallon.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Got my delivery today. 200 gallons. $916. Uhg.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

A friend told me today that he had locked in for $1.49/gallon last summer, but the supplier has now told him they will not honor that price. The new price is $6/gallon. The supplier claims that they met with their attorney and were told this was legal. I don’t know if their was a written contract and, if so, what escape clause it contains.

mojogunter

They will get away with it too legal or not, because there isn’t enough money involved to get a lawyer to take the case. Only chance is to call Lori Swanson and see if she will look into it. She seems to do her job pretty well.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

A friend told me today that he had locked in for $1.49/gallon last summer, but the supplier has now told him they will not honor that price. The new price is $6/gallon. The supplier claims that they met with their attorney and were told this was legal. I don’t know if their was a written contract and, if so, what escape clause it contains.

I contacted my supplier (Ferrell) and they told me that my price lock is good as per the contract that was signed. I locked in last May at $1.49 for 1400 gallons and the contract is valid through March 31st. I will not use that much, but I will request a last fill at the end of March.

He said to expect higher prices this summer as compared to what I am locked in now. He also said that the same price increases that they see in a week usually take a couple weeks to drop back down once the conditions improve.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

If only I coulda waited a few weeks…

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Food for thought. If there was no ethanol mandate corn production for 2013 would have been lower, less CRP land would have been tilled over leaving better bird habitat, no ethanol in the gas would mean a lot less problems with all kinds of gas engines/fuel lines, and less propane would have been used to dry corn used for ethanol production.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.