What Makes You Who You Are?

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what makes me love fishing as much as I do. If you ask my wife, she’ll tell you I’m a little too crazy about it!

It must have to do with the people that influenced me when I was growing up – not only my father, who is to this day my primary fishing partner, but also my dad’s friends and fishing partners. If we all look at who we are and what we believe and stand for, we’ll likely find little bits and pieces of past and current fishing partners. I like to believe that every time I hit the water, I learn something that can only help me to improve and evolve as an angler.

What makes you the angler you are today?

dvocelka32
    Duluth, MN

Great post!

I’d have to say that angling was the one thing that kept my relationship with my step-father close. Fishing is one of those hobbies that allows for time away from a busy lifestyle; a hectic job; troublesome situation; or just simply time for yourself. Creating memories and getting out of the house will continue to pay off – as down the road, stories are all that we will have to speak about. Although it is nice to have a fishing partner with ya, peace and quite has definitely allowed me to focus on my knowledge and understanding of fish patterns.

I’m all about getting on the water, whether its frozen or open, fishing has molded me into who I am – to an extent. There are very few ways to experience that intense form of gratitude and accomplishment. Tight lines! [image][/image]

castle-rock-clown

Some things can not be put into words…see rear view mirror post, those pictures are what stirs emotion and desire in my soul.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Hope, faith, and desire.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Hope, faith, and desire.

And I would add life experiences. Both good and bad

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

For me I think it is the peace that I find inside myself. My earliest recollections are about standing on shore with a rod in one hand, and being surrounded with a sense of calmness. In these moments I still feel sheltered from the turmoil, fear and distance that seems to come with life. The fish, the lure, the rod, the kid, the kid inside me still stands on that rocky shore line making thousands of casts. Be it on ice, in the bow of a boat or flying across wave and water’ doing 60 miles an hour. Fishing has always been to me what sports, baseball, football and basket ball, has been to others. Fishing is the place where I’m doing my thing, just me. The line isn’t just attached to my rod, it is connected to my soul. It is the thing that tells me I’m OK and I’m connected to life, nature and what swims beneath.

castle-rock-clown

I think you really hit on something there. Developing a passion early in life and being able to carry it for the rest of your life is a gift that keeps giving. The simple act of holding a rod in your hand either at 5 or 95 years old is the same. That is something a kid who develops a passion for a more intence sport like football, basketball, motocross, ect is much harder, if not impossible to carry into the “golden years”. Bottom line is I get the same feeling hooking a fish now as much as when I was a kid fishing Miller Pond.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Good post- In church a couple months ago our pastor said that our personality is shaped by people that have hurt us and by people that have loved us unconditionally.

The fishing deal- I think we are born with it, and the monster grows with success and memories with friends and family. I remember even when in kindergarten being absolutely in awe of seeing bullheads and carp swimming in shallow river water. Then catching some and being absolutely flipping out excited. Then I went to catfishing waiting for that tug on stinkbait- then chucking rattle traps for pike. Then- I heard my dad say this- “walleyes are really hard to catch.” This made me really interested- then in high school a neighbor gave me about 3 years worth of walleye-insider and it was game over. Loved the science in-fisherman and in-sider put into play!!!

smoke grub

well it ISN”T MONEY.. or good looks.. but I have been blessed with a wife of 35 years..someone who has shaped me like no one else could and who lived up to the vows, FOR BETTER OR WORSE…
    Two exceptional children.. Girls.. and while, I have never had a son, or a son in law, that are “outdoorsmen” both of my son in laws are of good character.. and both exceptionally smart..
    I will say, that a couple of major things shaped me.. One was that on one of the three times that my father ever took me fishing, I won a fishing contest at a local park.. and I was able to join some early Wisconsin fishing clubs, that had members like Dan Sura, and Dave Csanda.. I was exposed to the whole early FISHING FACTS staff, at age of 13..
    My dad did take me to the Milwaukee Sports show, and I thought, if only , ONE DAY, I could be one of the guys BEHIND THE TABLE,at those booths.. ( and later , I was).. there was the drive..
    Being the young kid in a neighborhood of older kids.. I learned loyalty.. and that’s something that has never left me.. and I am committed to be friends for life, even to some guys here on this site..
    and finally.. in May of 1976.. I found out who GOD was.. and one of the first things in my mind, after accepting Jesus into my life, was.. WHAT WOULD AL LINDER THINK?.. I guess that we both get the last laugh on that one..

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Interesting post. Unlike many of you, I think my rabid will to fish and hunt was brought on by feeling sorta left out. Went out a million times as a kid with my dad and brother trolling for salmon out on Lake Michigan, but I was never allowed to reel in any fish. As soon as I was old enough to ride my bike vitually anywhere I wanted, I fished about as much as I could, even to the point of sneaking onto private property in the middle of the night to fish for bass. Same deal with hunting, but I was never allowed to go to deer camp. When I hit 18, I went to hunter safety on my own, borrowed a gun from a friend my first year out and found my own spots to hunt. It was tough not having anyone show me how to do any of this stuff, like how to gut my first deer, but knowing I’ve learned it all on my through trial and error makes it just that much sweeter when I am successful in the woods or on the water. Looking back, (even though it sucked as a kid) I often wonder if I would fish and hunt as much as I do had I not felt left behind.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Fishing has been a part of my family for a long time. My sister and I have pictures of us holding fish in one hand and Barbie dolls in the other. It’s always been a wonderful part of my life and I owe that to my parents. If they weren’t the anglers they are and teaching their love for fishing and the outdoors to me, I wouldn’t be the angler I am today. So many of my favorite family memories involve being at a lake, fishing, campfires, swatting at mosquitos, and playing with bugs. The love for all this turned into a love for hunting as well, which I am grateful to share with my hunting buddy – my husband Billy.

competitor
    South central, mn

This is a post that really made me think. I remember my dad bringing me to shoot at the age of 5 on many weekends. I remember our first successful pheasant hunt. I love the memories of the boys (my grandpa and dad) grouse hunting and fishing. Staying over night on Mille Lacs and cooking toast over a gas stove and a cool toaster where you flipped it over the gas flame. Brushing my teeth out of a cup. I got to be one of the “men” on those trips. I then continued to increase my love of the outdoors. The friends I continue stay in contact with through these adventures continue to form who I am. I am now passing these onto my two girls and hopefully all the life lessons that come with them!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.