Space Station

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The International Space Station just passed overhead here in Rochester. What a great sight and tonight the skies cooperated wonderfully.2 minutes and 47 seconds from first sight until it passed the moon and disappeared into the mire of dark space. I never get tired of watching that marvel drift along overhead. Anyone else get to see it?

I may stay up another 47-48 minutes to watch it again. What a piece of ingenuity.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

How bout a heads up next year Tommy for those that fished all day!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Should be able to see it again tomorrow evening…10ish.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Heck I always thought the space station was built out of wood and sat in some giant warehouse in California. Who knew the thing was actually real?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nope. Its real. You must be thinking of people who sell restaurant equipment sitting in those warehouses..

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

how easy is it to see the station when it passes over?

Thanks

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

how easy is it to see the station when it passes over?

Thanks

Its pretty darned bright. Brighter than the moon or stars. Being closer to us here on earth, it looks much larger than a star. From west to east, as it travels, it only is visible for maybe three minutes.

rmartin
    United States

You will need a fairly clear night t see it. It always comes from a westerly direction and moves in an easterly direction. Use the table given earlier to determine the correct time and then just look in that direction. The times are right on so if you do not see it, you missed it. It is quite bright though and should be visible even were there might be a lot of light pollution. The only brighter objects in the night sky are the moon and Venus. It is possible on some days to see it 3 times. It all depends if it is in the area and above the Earths shadow. Its’ orbit is 250 miles high and it takes approximately 96 minutes to get back to where you might be able to see it again. If the tables say its maximum elevation will be <10-15 degrees, that will probably not be too good of a time to see it.

I go out often to see it. Last night was good as it was almost directly overhead at the only viewing time last night.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Passed over my house at 9:34, it was very easy to see even with the street lights and full moon.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

My grown kids still lookup for satelites when they’re up at the lake and love looking at the moon with the telescope. This always leads to great conversations of what if?…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

8:47PM tonight for Saint Cloud. Might have to let the kids stay up tonight. If it isn’t cloudy like they are predicting.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Yep, bin watching it for a couple weeks. Fairly easy to spot.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Crappy view tonight with the clouds… only seen it for about 30 seconds, pretty much overhead.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Our skies cleared out nice for viewing again tonight. Seemed to be higher up and not near so bright tonight.

The moon tonight was blood red as it cleared the horizon. eerie looking for a while there.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

thanks for the info. watched it last night.
    we were marveling at the orange full moon coming over the trees when we caught a glimpse of the station directly overhead but then saw it again continuing east for a couple minutes.
    impressive sight. it was big and bright.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Had a great view tonight

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.