creeping charlie

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

No, this post is not about BK.

I have creeping Charlie in my backyard. I’ve heard from sources that there is nothing to do get rid of the creeping Charlie. However I was at a home improvement store asking what to do and a guy reference fertilome as a great way to eradicate the weed.
    Has anyone else had success using this product?
    Are there any other products you would recommend?

Thanks

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Dan,

A guy I work with had charlie real bad and found something to get rid of it. I’ll ask him on Tuesday what he did and get back to ya. Hope all is well!!!!

Matt

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Check the weed killers labels, there are a lot of them that will do it. You will have to do several treatments about a week apart.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Trimec

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I use Trimec. It,along with many other herbicides has 2-4-D and any product with it will kill Charlie. Read the labels.

Most of Charlie usually dies after the first application, but to get it all requires a second application.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Trimec.

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

Quote:

Trimec

x3. You have to hit it several times but it will get the job done. Early May carries it.

handy

Definitely Trimec, at least 2 x. Fleet Farm stocks concentrate, pre-mixed and spray bottles. Grass friendly.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

Trimec, mix a couple drops of dawn dish soap in with it. That will male it stick to the leaves better.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

I haven’t found anything that works better than 2-4D.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Trimec

x3. You have to hit it several times but it will get the job done. Early May carries it.

\

Totally agree.

You MUST spray multiple times for creeping charlie (also called “ground ivy). TRIMEC is the best I’ve found, when we moved into our current house, most of the lawn was creeping charlie. It took 6 treatments to knock it out.

Spray once, then spray again about a week later. Then wait 2 weeks and spray again. If you have a lot of it, spray the whole lawn with a hose-end sprayer. It does a much better job of getting spray into the creeping charlie.

After 3 sprayings, check carefully and keep spraying any patches that remain. Don’t stop until you can’t find ANY.

Grouse

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Get the one with 24d and dicamba. There is a version of trimec that has both. I wasted a ton of my life on the next part. The mixing directions for a hand sprayer were way too low dose. I sprayed and sprayed and nothing ever died. I ended up at about twice the dose and it does take affect in a few days and the grass is fine. When you spray a spot of charlie, spray a circle about 4′ around it. The runners start off tiny.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Get the one with 24d and dicamba. There is a version of trimec that has both. I wasted a ton of my life on the next part. The mixing directions for a hand sprayer were way too low dose. I sprayed and sprayed and nothing ever died. I ended up at about twice the dose and it does take affect in a few days and the grass is fine.

I don’t disagree that you have to go with what works, but just so we don’t leave the idea that more=better, go with the lable directions for mix ratio. I do just fine at 1 oz per gallon of TRIMEC as the lable states, so it obviously varies by brand and composition.

TRIMEC absolutely works on creeping charlie if you keep after it. I’ve done it, my neighbor on the west side has turned a solid creeping charlie lawn into a nice lawn with no CC within 2 years, so the stuf works if you keep after it.

If a chemical isn’t working, I’d say change brands. Overmixing creates a very real chance of increasing the rate at which plants can become herbicide resistant. If everybody overmixes as a starting point, we’re going to see a lot more in terms of PlantZilla situtions where the suckers just won’t die. God help us all if we end up with a lawn version of Pigweed that not even Roundup will kill.

Totally agree with you re the runners. Creeping charlie spreads like a strawberry plant, by putting out runners. That’s one of the reasons it’s so tough to kill and you have to keep spraying until it’s all gone.

Grouse

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trimec

\

Totally agree.

You MUST spray multiple times for creeping charlie (also called “ground ivy). TRIMEC is the best I’ve found, when we moved into our current house, most of the lawn was creeping charlie. It took 6 treatments to knock it out.

Spray once, then spray again about a week later. Then wait 2 weeks and spray again. If you have a lot of it, spray the whole lawn with a hose-end sprayer. It does a much better job of getting spray into the creeping charlie.

After 3 sprayings, check carefully and keep spraying any patches that remain. Don’t stop until you can’t find ANY.

Grouse

You can spray over and over until it’s gone or you can pick up 2-4d and spray once and your done. There is a reason why it’s popular with farmers and weed management expert. Good luck….

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

Trimec contains 2-4d

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Trimec contains 2-4d

I’m talking straight 2-4d not with all the other stuff mixed in.

big_g
    Isle, MN

“Other stuff” does not diminish the 2-4d… it will take 2 applications typically, 2 weeks apart, if you have it real bad. I have bought and applied both ways and both take 2 applications.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

“Other stuff” does not diminish the 2-4d… it will take 2 applications typically, 2 weeks apart, if you have it real bad. I have bought and applied both ways and both take 2 applications.

How do you figure that. Trimec only contains 25.93% 2-4d. That means it’s NOT as strong and less efective the straight 2-4d mixed with water at the same rate……

big_g
    Isle, MN

That is like saying a pitcher of beer with tequila in it, is not as strong as a pitcher of the same beer without it ???

I have used the stuff in the bottles from Home Depot as well as went right to the soil service and bought it… both took 2 app’s to get rid of it.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

That is like saying a pitcher of beer with tequila in it, is not as strong as a pitcher of the same beer without it ???

I have used the stuff in the bottles from Home Depot as well as went right to the soil service and bought it… both took 2 app’s to get rid of it.

And if you tried to drink the same amount of tequila straight (the 2-4d of the mix) it would “kill you” faster than the beer because the alcohol content is higher. Thanks for clearing that up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’d sure love having a go at it

ozzyky
    On water

If it doesn’t die this time of year a fall spraying should do the trick. Seems like it’s a lot easier to kill in the fall and spring.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

How do you figure that. Trimec only contains 25.93% 2-4d. That means it’s NOT as strong and less efective the straight 2-4d mixed with water at the same rate……

Ummm, TRIMEC contains the maximum amount of 2-4-D allowed by law for residential use.

I assume that if you’re using anything stronger than this, you have a license? And are doing so only where it is legal? Which would NOT include residential lawns.

Grouse

basser
    White Bear Lake,mn.

Fertalone (weed out) works for me .Sold thru area nurseries.(Twin city nursery,WBL) Good luck…

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm, TRIMEC contains the maximum amount of 2-4-D allowed by law for residential use.

I assume that if you’re using anything stronger than this, you have a license? And are doing so only where it is legal? Which would NOT include residential lawns.

Grouse

Then explain to me how Fleet Farm sells Amine 400 that contains 46.40% 2-4d….

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Then explain to me how Fleet Farm sells Amine 400 that contains 46.40% 2-4d….

Because you don’t need a license to SELL the stuff. It’s the APPLICATION that’s governed by law.

Is that enough of an explanation that you’ll now quit giving out advice for something you clearly don’t understand?

This sh!# is serious stuff and advising people to use farm-grade chemicals in confined residential settings with people and pets running around is just freaking stupid. A whole bunch of members have already confirmed how to deal with the problem in a safe and effective way.

Grouse

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciated it.

I applied some Orthro last weekend to get some fo teh other pain in the butt weeds and will go after Charlie next. I will keep you posted on what I get and the results.

Is TRIMEC available usualyl at the local big box retailers or is a order through mail?

Thanks again!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Home Depot has it

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

This whole time I didn’t want to click on this post thinking it was a backyard rodent, so I googled creeping charlie and LOL
    Now I’ll be at work all night thinking of creeping charlie.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Is TRIMEC available usualyl at the local big box retailers or is a order through mail?

Thanks again!

You can get it at Fleet Farm, Menards, Home Despot, etc. TRIMEC is a generic name for the ingrediants, so the brand will vary.

If you have a large area to do, get a hose-end sprayer if you don’t already have one. I like the Ortho brand ones that just have a dial to adjust to the number of ounces per gallon. Set, fill the chemical tank, turn on the hose and spray.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.